Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another Snow Day!

Here we wake to our third snow day in the last two weeks. Well, despite the length of day getting longer, we have had some bone-chilling temperatures. Naturalists sleep in today and awake to find our city covered with fresh snow. I, for one, will go for a nice long run and experience the outdoors under these conditions. What tracks will I find? Who else will be out and about?

How are naturalists spending their day? Will you venture outside? How about reading a book? What is happening in the news? Maybe you want to listen to a video clip from the website "Audio Nature Encounters" listed on the right. What will you learn today? Share your learnings, dicoveries, and thoughts with the other naturalists and earn TRACKs. We would love to hear from alumni too!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the snow day, I might go outside and build a snowman if we get enough snow. I am eating a warm blueberry muffin for breakfast while I discuss my plans with my family. On Sunday, we went on a very long hike at Fox Run in the snow. We brought our two dogs, Molly and Cosmo, along so we didn’t see many animals. I was telling my mom that we should go to School in the Woods so I could show her grandma and grandpa tree. Our dogs loved it out there. Cosmo looked like he had a beard. I hope everyone has fun on the snow day. 19

Anonymous said...

Mackenzie L. #38
Today I’m just hanging out with my mom I might go outside later and play with my neighbors. Right now my brother is outside having a snowball fight with them. This morning for breakfast I had some homemade waffles. After we ate I played my WII. It was really fun! These are my only plans for today.

nature girl#31 said...

Today on this fine snow day all I’m doing is just sitting around learning how to use my new laptop. Later today I’ll go to the dentist and then maybe the hockey tredmill but right now I’m just relaxing on the couch. Funny story I didn’t know it was a snow day until I was up and ready for school, but my brother didn’t know until he was at the bus stop and nobody was there, he came back shivering because he only had a sweatshirt on he needs to dress warmer. Ha ha. See ya next time. :)

Anonymous said...

#52



Well today was like any other snow day for me
; For all I do is clean up, go sledding or go to the track and run. We went to the library and on the way there we saw a peregrine falcon sitting in a street lamp. It was sort of like the thing I would find on a post card; its majestic wings spread out over the horizon. Our house is sort of well known because of the sledding hill. And when we get home we have a nice cup of hot cocoa. Thanks for the blog.

Anonymous said...

At my house we are sewing, cooking, playing around inside, and homework. We’re redecorating a room in the basement and need a new quilt for the bed. I made two batches of cookies, one strawberry and one chocolate chip. They were extra-delicious. I really miss school and can’t wait for tomorrow. Becca was entertaining my little sister Sara. I’m bored out of my mind and really wanted school today. When are we going to have art again?! Sara is now dancing like a chicken with its head cut off and it is really funny watching her. Have fun on your snow day everyone!
#27

Anonymous said...

Julia said ......
I’ve had a fun day so far. The only bad thing is that I didn’t get much sleep last night. First, I didn’t fall asleep until about nine o’clock last night(I had gotten in bed by about eight thirty). Then I woke up at about two o’clock A.M. wondering if I’d have school today. I went back to sleep, but by then I was in a somewhat light sleep and then woke up at four thirty. I never went to sleep after that. I came downstairs with my sisters and my dad told us we had no school today. Since then I have played WII, read, gone to Michael’s with my mom, cleaned, and watched a movie. I also ventured out onto the deck and wasn’t cold. Another thing I did was google “animal calls” and heard some amazing callls. I also went to the animal noise link on the side of the blog.Thanks for checking in on us!!!!

Anonymous said...

Blink Champ. #17 said



I cannot believe we have another snow day. I woke up at 6:30 AM accidentally because my mom usually wakes me up and I went sprinting into my mom’s room to wake her up thinking that she slept in. I asked her if we had a two hour delay and she said, “No you have a snow day today, school has been cancelled”. My cold continues to get better and then worse. I have already gone outside and I had blueberry pancakes for breakfast. My two roboroviski dwarf hamsters had to be separated because they kept fighting and biting each other and made each other bleed and loose their fur. Unfortunately, one has to stay in my brother Jacob’s room. Jacob did not listen to my mom and accidentally let the hamster free and it was roaming all over our house. Then, that day we had our neighbor across the street Ryan come over to our house. On that same day I found the hamster in my cats mouth and finally jerked my cat’s mouth open that was lock-jaw. Luckily, the hamster was still alive and started running, jumping, and tumbling down the stairs and I had my cat by her hind quarters and yelled for help. At that time Jacob and Ryan were playing my mom’s IPad and I yelled “Jacob come here Daisy (my cat) is going to kill the hamster, “ someone help.” (I couldn’t do it because I was gripping my cat). Ryan was the first to get there and dived for the hamster as soon as I lost grip of my cat because my cat was trying to bite and scratch me. Ryan grabbed the hamster right in time before my cat leaped and pounced on it. My mom came running in and grabbed the hamster from Ryan and put it in the bathroom sink to make sure it had no injuries. At that time Ryan was as pale as a ghost and after the hamster was recovered Ryan said, “I don’t want to see another hamster die” ( because his older sister Rachel use to have one and it died ). So far today I have seen a lot of birds in our tree and at our feeder. A few days ago I put seed out for the birds and a few minutes later a buck, a doe, and two young mule deer came and had a feast on bird seed. On another evening, I went out and spread peanut butter on spruce branches and pinecones and patted them in birdseed. I didn’t notice but two bucks were watching me wondering if what I was making was for them. I gave them all the pinecones and spruce cones and they ate them spruce cone and all. I have seen a lot of dark eyed juncos this week and past weeks in our tree and at our feeder. I had my first violin practice on Saturday and I have come to like it a lot. What is everybody else doing on such a fine snowy day?


- terrestrial invertebrates #17 (Jenna Salvat or Eagle Eyes ).

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day the ground is blanketed with fresh white snow and the trees are sparkling like there were glitter on them.Today, I am going to build a quinzhee if you remember 2010-2011 naturalists we read a story about two boys building a quinzhee for shelter my brother and I started it yesterday but needed more snow so we decided to wait for fresh snow to finish it off. I hope you naturalists have fun in the snow too today.

Christine

Anonymous said...

Wow, another snow day. During the day I: Built Legos, made a pillow fort, went to Cicis pizza, and Walmart. The exciting part was one of tracks I saw; indented in the snow a coyote track, plain as day! It was very new, the wind hadn’t disturbed it at all. That, was the best part of the day.
# 13

Anonymous said...

Peter said...
Another snow day has come and gone.On the snow day our family cleaned the house. My job was to dust the ground floor and pick up the basement with my sisters. It was a very slow procees and took all of the morning. We had a very yummy lunch of BLTs and carrots. After lunch I read for about an hour. Once I got done reading I played about 30 to 45 minutes of video games. As soon as I got done with that I read for another 30 minutes. that night we had a very delicious dinner. After dinner I did my Words and Meanings. As soon as I got done with that I read for another 30 minutes. Then I finally got to go to bed! I really did have a busy day on Tuesday.

Mammal Man #48 said...

Today I saw a magnificent animal outside……an Abert’s squirrel. We were walking to math when Liam said, “Look an Abert’s squirrel!!!” And sure enough, there lying down in the mulch underneath the bird feeder, was a black rodent sleeping without a sound. This was the third sighting I’ve had, but this one was pretty close. For such a shy creature, three yards away is very close. I think it was an amazing experience.
Another rare experience took place a few months earlier. We were having my most memorable experience here in the woods…..the Overnight. We had already woken up and were ready for the morning hike. Mountain chickadees, Pygmy nuthatches, and Stellar’s jays greeted use on our way through the Ponderosa forest. Then, we stopped. There, in the bushes, were two light brown mule deer does and a fawn. Then, as soon as we saw them, they were gone. We wondered why, because we were downwind of them. But, the answer became clear. Right behind them……were two sly coyotes. Once the coyotes realized the deer were on the move again, they started trotting off in that direction, disappearing into the trees. I guess that nature will sometimes pull surprises on you.

Post a Comment