Monday, January 11, 2010

A Naturalist New Year

Hello Naturalists,

How wonderful it is for us to be sharing the beginning of a new year together, especially out here in our beautiful ponderosa dominated montane forest. We have spent the last four months together enriching our lives through our nature studies. Many more days of discoveries and deeper educational experiences are in front of us. Your spring field project will allow you to immerse yourself for an entire month in an aspect of nature you are most passionate about.

This blog will provide you with opportunities to share your growing body of knowledge, your observations, and your wonderings with fellow naturalists. Seek to inspire others through your carefully worded posts. Read others' words and imagine experiences through their eyes.

Task:
Experience your first blog engagement by commenting on this post.
Share a New Year's Resolution regarding nature with your with fellow naturalists.

I resolve to be actively involved in the Sustainable Parks Initiative so that we, as a community, might find a way to protect, enhance, and sustain the natural parks and public recreational areas that are such important treasures to Colorado Springs. By establishing this initiative more people will have opportunities to recreate and interact with our parks and open spaces.

Your turn.

54 comments:

SITW naturalist said...

My new years resolution having to do with the environment is to spend more time in NATURE. I just feel like I don't spen enough time in NATURE at home. I also want to make more safisticated observations. I feel like I could do better in making observations. I'll see you guys at school tomorrow!!!
<3 kennedy

Anonymous said...

My new year's resolution is to spend more time in nature. I am usally doing stuff inside but i want to change that. One thing i could do more in nature is observing more. That is another one of my new year's resolution.Just to see things most people don't care about. Like that quote "many people walk thorugh the medow but don't see the flowers in it."Those are the main two things but i have alot more things to work on.
by, Riley

Anonymous said...

Hannah-Hi, my naturalist New Years resolution is to spend less time inside
playing my D.S. or watching T.V. I don't go outside a lot so I thought that would be a good resolution for me. I'm going to start jogging and hiking
around the neighborhood and I'm going to start exploring a lot more. I'll
still respect nature and not step on or hurt insects. I wanted to know what
you guys usually eat when you get home from school. You're all awesome
including you Mr.Wuerth!

Anonymous said...

Rachel- Have you thought of a New Year's resolution yet?...I have and it is to help the enviornment as much as I can.For example to pick up litter when I'm on a walk, grow some plants in my backyard,and feed the birds.If we all do things like that,we'll make the world a better place.

Anonymous said...

In 2010 I would like to learn more about the natural world by studying it and getting outside more. I want to study more insects. I also want to visit more of Colorado's national parks. I want to do my part in taking care of the environment by turning off lights and being better at recycling. I will also pick up litter when I see it outside. Chase Larwin

Anonymous said...

Rachel did I post my comment on New Year's resolution I'm not sure

Sonal Modisette said...

This year I resolve to go tracking everytime there is a nice soft blanket of snow. I want to identify certain animal tracks like coyote foxes and deer. I want to see the deer denning spot and see scat. - Sophia Modisette

Drew Benson said...

My new years resulusion is to explore the natural world more. Plus I live by Cottonwood Creek Park.

Tessa Lpointe said...

This year I resolve to go out and spend more time out in nature, whether it's getting to go to the park more which has a small forest in it or helping nature by getting my family to put in cfl's and led's insted of the energy wasting ones that we have now. I hope everyone who makes a resulution follows through with it this year!

RANGER EARTH said...

Hi all you wonderful SitWoods naturalists!
Mr. Wuerth sent me a signal letting me know that you are all making nature resolutions and blogging. What a cool way to communicate with an audience. I am so impressed by the resolutions you are writing. I agree with the young naturalist named Tessa above, my deep desire is that I will have your help taking care of the planet which is my namesake. Please follow through with your resolutions.
Your friend,
Ranger Earth! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi ti's Tyler,when I see gabarge on the ground in my neighborhood or park I will throw it in the gabarge can.

SHoagland said...

hi all my new year resalution is to help reduce my family's carbon emissons

Jessica said...

My new years resolution is to pay more atttention to nature. I might walk by a insect and not even see it. So I am going to try to look for creatures all around me, like ants doing their work, a cricket hopping or just a little worm on the ground.

Nature Girl said...

My New Year's resolution is to spend more time with Mother Earth. I would like to go on more hikes with my family and show them how to identify Colorado plants and animals. Also, I would like to sit and enjoy nature quietly by myself. My other goal is to go tracking with my friend. One more thing; I would like to study space more.
Katie O.

Anonymous said...

my new years resolution is 1.Spend more tine in nature.when i usually get home i play my D.S. or play Wii.I need to start goin out side in my back or front yard.2.I need to in more outdoor activites in Nastonal Parks or in regular parks.
Bella

Sean Sinkola said...

Hi everyone my new year's resolution is to be plant friendly.
I will water my plants.
I will also give shelter to plants in the winter.
I will help plants by putting them in the back yard so that the can grow larger.
I will use less paper.
-Sean

Anonymous said...

JJ - I resolve to spend more time in the outdoors. I plan to join the mineralogical society so I can go on creek hikes and learn more about how our land was formed. I can't wait to find some more petrified wood. I also want to find some gold. Some other ways I will do this is by camping more and sleeping more so I have energy for more hikes. I will tell you all when and where the next creek hike is.
Naturalist 37

Anonymous said...

Naturalists- This year I resolve to be in nature more.In nature I would like to study and look up birds that commonly go to my bird feeder in a bird field guide.It would be so cool if I could see a Pygmy Nuthatch (my black forest animal) at my very own bird feeder, I would also like to get a good picture of it.I'll probably move to North Carolina at summer time so when I am there I will probably see a lot of birds that I have never seen here in Colorado before.I also resolve to do more gardening because I really enjoy gardening and it is pretty good for the Earth.I will see all of you at school tomorrow!!!
By,
Noah Shaner #50

Anonymous said...

Josh-I resolve to turn the lights or electronics off when I leave a room. I usually forget to turn my lights off when I leave a room. I want to change this behavior this year to be ecofriendlier.

Carina D'Angelo said...

I need to get out in nature (even outside) more. All I do on the weekends is stay inside and knit, draw, or read. Sometimes I go on errands with my parents. I would like to go sledding. My mom talks a lot about hiking up to Barr Camp. She says I sould see it. I think it is too far to hike.
Carina D.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My New Years resolution is to pick up trash that somebody threw on the ground. Also, to recycle stuff that can be recycled. Plus, I want to observe nature more.
-by Garrett R

Anonymous said...

Hayden-

My resolution is to get better at soccer use cold water detergent.

Chloe B. said...

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a happy new year! My New Year's resolution is to spend less time on the computer and tv and more time in nature. Whether I am just sitting there or being active, I feel refreshed, renewed, and relaxed. Chloe

Cameron Colangelo said...

Hi my new years resolution including nature is to spend more time in the natural world instead of playing my Nintendo DS,my Xbox, my Iphone,and playing games on the computer.Camreon

Aubrey M. said...

Hi,my new years resolution is to help animals and the natural world by, picking up litter, spending less time on the computer or t.v, and getting my family to recycle and turn off lights more often.
See you later,
Aubrey M.

Anonymous said...

Nicholas-My New Year's Reesolution is to grow a patch of strawberries this year 'cause I like to see Nature grow.

Anonymous said...

Blaise-I resolve to go out once a month and draw one living organism in my backyard. I want to do this because other people might see the beauty of the outdoors and be inspired to do their own nature work.
Catch you later!

-Blaise

Tessa said...

Hi! I'm so excited because we actually do have cfls and leds in our house! Hurray!

Anonymous said...

My New Year's resolution is to turn off lights. I also leave doors open and that lets heat out so I should shut them. I also want to grow more vegetables because I like to grow plants with my mom. My grandpa has a compost so I want to help him with that. Those are my main goals for this new year.

Jack D.

James said...

My new years resolution is to spind more time out side riding my bike.

Kate said...

My new years reslution is to spend more time out side. To breath the crisp air of Colorado. Maybe spend time with my family with long walks through nature. Do some sports to.

From,
Kate

Libby said...

Libby said...

My new years resolution is to recycle more water bottles. I mean after I drink out of one I want to use the same one instead of opening another.

Anonymous said...

Sophia B.-
My New Year's resolution is to spend even more time outdoors enjoying nature. I want to notice the details in nature and identify more plants and organisms. Also I want to make my house greener. I can turn off the lights, unplug my electronics, and use more blankets instead of turning up the heat.

Anonymous said...

My New Years resolution is to not to just look at a tre and say it is just a tree, I want to look at a tree and say oh there must be tons of animals that take this as a home and it has its own life that it has.

From,
Abigail

Anonymous said...

I think I have to pay more attention to the things that happen on the Earth like what happened with the earthquake that hit Haiti,and the way things happen when people mess with the food chain of our animals in the world.Some things are hard to do on the Earth but sometimes we just have to do things that we need like meat,paper,and a hole lot more.
-Catriona C.

Naturalist Emily said...

My New Year's resolution is to spend time in nature,even if that means just spending time observing in my backyard. This summer I would love to visit more national parks, explore more, go hiking often, and go camping. I am also interested in learning more about animals. I loved the volcano experiment we did this afternoon and I would love to do more experiments like it. I can also conserve energy. I can turn of lights and use more blankets at night. I also resolve to use the three rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle) more often like recycling ALL my paper, using the same water cup for lunch and dinner, and not throw clothes in the laundry so often. Another resolution of mine is to be more plant-friendly. I will plant more plants, trees, and grow my own garden. I will take good care of my plants and tees, such as watering them often, making sure they get plenty of sunlight, and protect them as much as I can during the winter,. I will do the same with my garden. I really hope I can follow after my plans.
-Emily K.

Anonymous said...

My new years revelution is to care more about the earth.So I'll pickup litter when ever I see some when walking somewhere.I'll make sure I bring a bag when ever I go outside.
-Rachael R.

Anonymous said...

Hank-Hi!! My resolution is I'm going to try and stay out side more so I can watch deer or birds i normally don't pay to mutch atention to like a Stellers Jay. I'm hoping I see asprout of spring so I can see stuff that only comes in the summer. I think this will be great!!!

Jack R. said...

My New Years resoultion is to save more electricity. I am trying to convince my mom and dad to take out all of our lights and replace them with CFL's and LED's. Even though you have LED's and CFL's,it does not mean that you are completely saving electricity. So I will try to turn off lights and only use them when I need to. I hope that some of you will try to save electricity even if you have a different New Years resoltion.

Ava J. #41 said...

My naturalist new year resolution is to spend more time outside. This could include hiking, observing things I don't often notice, spending time with animals as in a way they were my best friend. When hiking, which could take place in Garden of the Gods or fun trails, I could observe the material of the rocks or layers. When paying closer attention to the smaller things around me, I could notice insects, flowers, grass I haven't spent time to look at. Finally, I hope to work and treat an animal as a good friend. I hope I can work and accomplish what I wish to do.

Nate burns said...

For my new years resolution is to start recycling and encouraging my neighbors to recycle to and I've started so far by crushing boxes and bottles so we can get as much recycling items in the recycling bin because are recycling company only will take one bin of recycling every two weeks and we have tons of extra bags of recycling.

nate

Sam B said...

My new years resolution is to be more observent of animals.I will try to see as many animals as posible even if I just see a mule deer walking by.I will do this resolution when ever I can.
Sam B.

Sam B said...

My new years resolution is that I will be more observent about animals.I will do this when ever I can. That means even if it is just a deer crossing the street.
Sam B.

Valarie said...

My naturalist resolution is recycle more, reduce water by taking shorter showers, and saving energy by convincing my mom to use a clothing line outside.

Alexis said...

My naturalist resolution this year is to recycle more. First, I will make sure my mother recycles all of the school papers that come home. Second, I will have my mom recycle her soda cans. Every time I see trash on the ground, I will pick it up instead of leaving it there.

Sydney V #22 said...

hey every one!
my new years resolution is to spend more time enjoying nature and to get outside more and stop playing my Nintendo so much and recycling more!
-Sydney V

Anonymous said...

My new years resolution is to stop playing game sistums.It makes me focus to much on it.And it fries my brain.
by Kevin Prentiss.

Anonymous said...

My new year's resolution is that I have been outside more often. I have been riding horses,playing with my friends,riding my bike,and going on walks. One morning I saw a colorful sunrise off to the east and I saw a fox running out of my backyard then it was right beside me. My family started to recycle and we have changed our lights to LED lights. We are trying to become a greener family!
-Allana Clarke #33

Anonymous said...

23 Here,

My New Year's Resolution is to keep my spelling grade up. And, I would also like to learn to play the drums. 23

Micah Wilborn said...

My new years resolution is to go out in nature and study it. I want to stay in it longer than I normally do. To go hiking and overnight there for weeks at a time! I want to just sit and watch a bee fly and study it and draw it for hours and hours at a time instead of just sitting there for ten minutes and drawing and studying it.

Mrs. Powers said...

I am trying to use flourescent light bulbs every time a regular one needs replaced. Also, I am trying to turn off lights as I walk through my house.
-Mrs. Powers #007

Naturalist #18 said...

For my New Year's resolution, I want to spend more time outdoors and go on more hikes. I want to go to Palmer Park and Fox Run. While on a hike, I will look and try to see more wildlife, plants and trees. I will also spend more time looking up different plants and animals in my field guide. I can't wait for the weather to get warmer.

Anonymous said...

Sorry.....Kristina wrote that last comment! :)

Anonymous said...

Some skills I have gotten from SITW is archery and orienting.

Archery was fun. I never knew how to even hold a bow before I went to school. The days of archery were very fun.

Another one of my skills I got was . One question I used was, "Does orienting involve a compass?" but then I wasn't skilled, and now I am! My knowledge to find my way in the woods is huge now.

Some things that changed me was knowing nature and helping the earth. Being a part of nature is wonderful, I am happy to be able to understand it. The way it has changed me is irreplaceable, and my heart feels as if a part of it is going to stay at School in the Woods, and stay in nature.

Before my life was at SITW, energy was almost last on my list, but now my understanding to help the earth is huge. I don't get mad at my dad for turning the heater down a lot, and I get mad at my mom for driving in her big, fat energy wasting van. I am now a lot more aware of ways to help the earth.

Some memories from SITW are the overnight and our wiki-up building.

At the overnight my heart was scared and excited, and my passion for nature was greater than normal. The overnight was a wonderful experience.

When we build wiki-ups, we are not only able to sit next to and be with nature, but able to have fun while doing it. The happiness it brings to me is wonderful, my passion for nature is growing greatly, and will keep growing for life!

Post a Comment