Monday, January 18, 2010

Western Bluebirds Sighting!!!

Hello Naturalists,
My wife and I saw something amazing on our run through the Garden of the Gods this morning. We saw a small flock of perhaps 8-12 western bluebirds. I cannot recall in 22 years of living here a time I have seen these migratory birds before spring. This was most unusual. Maybe these particular birds had not migrated as far south as they normally do. What about this year may be causing this occurrence? Why have some robins been remaining here the past couple of winters?

For those of you who have yet to submit a comment on the new year goal, get going. For those of you who have, feel free to comment on this post.
Mr.Wuerth

28 comments:

SITW NATURALIST said...

My mom, my brother, and I went there today too!!!
We were hiking around and saw some too!!! I was amazed too that they would be here before spring. I am not sure why they would be here so early in the year. We also saw a doe. It was a beautiful day! :) :) :) :) :)
-Kennedy

Naturalist 37 said...

Maybe the bluebirds are here because of global warming.The warmer temperatures may confuse them to think its summer,trust me I played outside all day and kind of thought it was summer but I cheated and looked at the the calender.
JJ

SHoagland said...

hi all today I saw a robon on the way home from SITW it was resting in a ponderosa pine

Anonymous said...

I would love to take my binouculars to Garden of the Gods
and see if they are still there. I would love to see some Western Bluebirds!
-Sophia B.

Anonymous said...

Today, when I was on the bus that I usually take home, I was looking out the window and I saw a couple of Nuthatches but they soon flew away and I didn't have enough time to identify what kind of Nuthatch they were.I wanted to know if you know of any great birding spots that are in the Colorado Springs area.Please tell me if you do.
I will see you all at school on Thursday!!!
By,
Noah S. #50

Sean said...

I think maybe the birds just went shorter than usual witch is exciting because we get to see them earlier than usual. One time in fall it was about 70 degrees Fahrenheit and I thought it was the middle of summer.
It is great to see lots of birds!

Chloe B. said...

Hi, super cool! When I was at my Grandmother's house in Wisconsin, I saw two Cardinals -one female and one male. We also saw juncos, swallows, bluejays, crows, blackbirds, and finches. I have pictures if anyone is interested!

Rachel N. said...

Today there were a lot of starlings around our heated birdbath and suet feeders.There were so many of them that there was barely any water left in the birdbath!It must be hard to survive as a bird in the winter.

Anonymous said...

Hank-I think that is pretty cool! I really haven't seen any birds yet. You are realy lucky! I agry with what you thought. I can't whait until I see my first bird of the year!!

Jack R. said...

I have been looking for some birds and just the other day I saw a bluebird and a morning dove.I think the bluebirds were flying south because of all the cold winters we have had here.

Jessica said...

I have seen lots of birds in my life. I once saw a Bald Eagle in Minnesota. I probally saw a western bluebird once but I didn't have time to identify it. I do feel bad for those birds sometimes out there on a cold winter.

Nate said...

I think it because people are feeding them more because are neighbors have a HUGE bird feeder and refill it every week! They have had some western blue birds come to there feeder several times. The blue birds and robins must think if they migrate south they won't have as much luck finding food.

Sophia M said...

the other day i was outside on my back deck and I saw lots of birds in my back yard but I couldn't identify them. I think I saw a blue bird. One time there was an owl on my back deck they are really big.

jwuerth said...

Hello Naturalists!
Excellent comments about your sightings and observations. What incredible naturalists you all are. Keep your eyes and minds open as you take in the natural world and its ecology. Who knows what that means?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a tree by my window and my cat loves to watch the robins. All she does is stares and stares at them. I have seen some bald eagles and loones in Minnesota. I probably have seen some Western Bluebirds, but haven't paid much attention to them
-Sydney

Hannah B. said...

Hi naturalists, I would love to go to Garden of the Gods and see Western Bluebirds. I'm seeing a lot of crows in my neighborhood this time of the year, I don't know why. There are also some other types of birds in my backyard but I haven't had time to identify them yet.

Anonymous said...

Hank-I fond out what ecology is! It means a scientific study with the interaction of insects and their home around them. That's what I got from Wikipedia

jwuerth said...

Hank, ecology does include insects and their interactions with other animals, plants, smaller organisms, and nonliving components in their environment.

But, it is much broader than that.

Naturalists, make sure to check at least two sources before defining ecology. I am waiting for you all to research this word.
Mr. Wuerth

carlie said...

Carlie-Ecology is when the enviroment as it relates to the living organisms I got that from
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/weben. Also there was another thing from a different web site it was ecoolgy is generally spoken of a new science having only to become prominent in the second half of the 20th century

word meaning of prominent: The thing that stands out the most

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to Garden of the Gods yet, but I did see two tiny grey Titmouse, one female Hairy Woodpecker, and a Stellar's Jay.I saw them in my pine tree in my front yard while collecting pine needles for my basket.
-Sophia B.

Tessa L. said...

Maybe the bluebirds are here beacause of the weird warm weather we've been having sometimes. Ecology means a branch of science concerned with the interrelationship of organisms and their enviornments, it means the totality or pattern of relations between organisms and their enviornment. I got that definition from the Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary. Here's another one I found. The branch of biology dealing with the relations and interactions between organisms and their enviornment. I got that one from dictionary.com. I hope everyone's been exploring the natural world this weekend!

Tessa L. said...

Chloe, I was wondering if you could bring those pictures of the birds you saw in sometime this week! They sound really cool! See you on Monday!

Josh B. said...

Cool sighting. I'd like to see then too! I'd also like to see a pygmy nuthatch. If I could I want to get a bird feeder. To see all kinds of birds would be great. Just like noah, but he has a bird feeder. I'd like to study more about birds.

Nature Girl said...

Awesome sighting. I wish I was there to see the Western Bluebirds too! I havn't seen any birds nearby. I would like to see a White Breasted nuthatch sometime in my life. I would like to study more birds in my life as a naturalist.
-Katie O.

Jack D. said...

Cool!!!! I wish I could see them too! One day a couple years ago, near my bird feeder, I saw a Kestral!!! It was cool. I also see finches, chickadees, doves, hummingbirds, and sometimes a yellow finch! Occasionally, a colorful flicker visits. I like to watch birds often out the window.

Ava J. #41 said...

That must have been an exiting moment. I think you saw the western bluebirds because its been so warm here lately. Maybe they traveled finding it was warm enough in Colorado. When they got here they must have thought it was warm so they stayed. I also think the robins stayed because they thought it was warm enough. I think it might be an instinct of theirs. They might know something we don't, like maybe that it is going to be warmer in the spring. If I was a bird I would want to stay here.

Alexis#12 said...

Maybe the Western Bluebirds are here becase of global warming, like JJ said.

SHoagland said...

Hello! Today I saw 12 robins at Nates house. They were flying north.

Post a Comment