Sunday, June 6, 2010

What are naturalists doing in the summer?

Hello Honey Bee Class!

I hope you have had a nice start to your summer. School in the Woods was eerily quiet on Thursday with none of you there. A special thanks to those of you who helped out on Friday - Tessa, Drew, Chloe, and Stephen. We got some gardening done, the tipi down, and the shed is quite clean.

Zane had a special request - What are our naturalists planning to do this summer? Would you like to share what you have done or plan to do? We could stay in touch this way.

I took my raft and went down part of the Arkansas River today. What fun we had! The river is quite high with all the rapid snow melt and running at more than 4,000 cfs. Anyone know what that means?

64 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blaise-

I'm going to the El Paso County Fair, July 24-31, in Calhan,Colorado. I'm exhibiting 1 Buff Orphington cock (rooster), 1 Buff Orphington hen, 1 Silver Americana cock, 1 Red-Brown Americana hen, 1 Silver Americana pullet (a hen who is younger than 1 year old), 1 Red-brown Americana pullet, 2 Silver Americana cockerels (a cock who is less than one year old), and 1 Red-Brown Americana cockerel. My exhibitors number will be posted in the poultry barn, look for a chicken who's tag has my exhibitor's number on it. We might even meet there.
I'm also going on a trip to Toronto, Canada. I don't really know what to expect.

Tessa-a naturalist forever! said...

Hi naturalists! I'm going to go to NH this summer to visit my cousins (I'll bring my Naturalist Journal, of course!). It's by a lake so I'm thinking I'll have a lot of things to write about. I'm also going to finish a book I'm writing called "Amongst the Birds". It's about 5 13 year olds who go into the rainforest for 10 years to save injured, sick, and orphaned animals from the hunters that are taking it over. When they are there, they find one of the hunter's baby and take care of it. They have built a cabin and put an injured mother falcon and the baby in the same room together. The falcon tries to teach the child as it grows up. The kid thinks the birds her mother and tries to act like it. She sleeps in a bed made of sticks like a nest. She tries to fly but never succeeds. It should be a really good book. I might even try to send it into Scholastic to try to get it published, a dream I've had ever since I started writing books. It's writen in the form of a journal. I'm dedicating it to SITW, my parents, and HawkQuest!

jwuerth said...

Wow Blaise!
That is quite a few birds. We all wish you and your birds luck! Maybe some naturalists can make it out to the fair. I will be on a long camping trip and probably won't make it. Prepare your birds well!
Mr. Wuerth

jwuerth said...

Bravo Tessa!
Have fun vacationing in New Hampshire. It was nice to hear you'll be taking your journal. Love the preview of your book. I bet our naturalists would love reading it! HawkQuest would be happy to hear about you dedication.

Mr. Wuerth

Tessa said...

Blaise, what is your exhibitors number? I don't know if I have anything going on on those dates, but if I don't I'll try to go!

Anonymous said...

Blaise-

I don't know what my exhibitors number is yet, Tessa. We always find out at fair. There is a sheet with everybody's name and number. Thank you for lending me support on fair.
I can't wait for your book to come out! I wish my sister would finish and publish her book. She has a great imagination.

Tessa-nature lover! said...

Blaise-ok. I'll try to go. Thanks! Don't you wish more kids would check out the blog? I hope they don't think their off the hook because school is out. They probably just don't know about the new post. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE REUNION EVEN THOUGH IT'S REALLY FAR AWAY!!! Mr. Wuerth-you need to have 2 reunions. One in the fall and one when you have it now. That would be a ton of fun!!!

zane pond boy said...

I will go to summer camp at La Foret in black forest. They call abert’s squirrels squabbits. They say they are half squirrels half rabbits. At La Foret they have a swimming pool,you sleep in cabins, meet new friends and many other things. Now because of School in the Woods I will be able to name a few birds teach my friends about the natural world and how to protect it and stand up for it. People from all of Colorado part of Utah and New Mexico come to this church camp. Then around July 15 I will go to Ohio tohave a graduation party for two of my cousins.

zane pond boy said...

Sounds like fun blaise.Tessa your preveiw for your book sounds really good maybe it can be published so I can read it. Mr.Wuerth that means cubic feet per second right?That is really fast I looked it up on dictionary.com

carlie a naturlist forever said...

-Carlie

Im really excited because my dad is going to San diego for eight weeks and my family and I get to visit him also in August Im moving to France for a year I want to come and visit Colorado because I wanna see my friends and I plan to go to the SITW reioun I hope I can come back for those speical ocassions. I also found a lot of books to read Im reading a book called _Top___8___ its bye Katie Finn I hope to finish soon its about a girl named madison and she tells about her life and her struggles. I also went to camp in Ft Collins for a week it was soooo fun we had 17 girls in my cabin we did so many things I think favorite thing was the high ropes course I had to cables on the side of me and one for my feet it was called a tight rope walk i walked across it then a few steps back to the begining then I let go and the belayer let me down slow in my harnes I learned many songs and a slap game called the table game it took the whole week for me to learn it but know the whole camp knows I had four counclers Chaos Clover Chyna And Buck those arent their real names they need diguise names so people dont stalk them or blackmale them. So ya I had a really great time at camp its called Magic Sky Ranch. If you wanna go, go on to google and search magic sky ranch and sign up if you want its an all girls camp though so if your a boy your out of luck

Tessa said...

Carlie-I'm going to a Girl Scout camp this summer too! But I'm not going to Magic Sky. I think my camp starts with an a, but I'm not sure. I'm sure everyone's sad your moving, but you're going to have a lot of fun in France! You should ask your parents if you can visit the Eiffle Tower. If you do, you can take pictures and put them in a comment! That way your SITW friends can all see them. Hope we'll see you at the reunion!

Anonymous said...

Blaise-

Zane, your going to La Foret (The Forest (in french)? That's pretty near where I live (and SITW, of course). I go there most years for their Halloween party ( though I'll admit Halloween isn't my favorite holiday)
Tessa, I have some advice for people who forget to check the blog. Your right, 4/52 isn't that much. If you have trouble remembering to check the blog,(even though school is out) set it as your homepage. This way , I can see every blog as it comes out.

Tessa said...

Hi! It's me again. I found a cool video on Happy News about an almost 11 year old girl who is drawing pictures of animals, then giving them for donations for the wildlife in the Gulf. You should check it out!
http://happynews.com/news/6142010/girl-draws-oil-leak-donations.htm

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone it's Sean
I've been playing video games and slacking off and i've read 3 chapter books. I got a new watch $10.20.
I've seen some magpies and I went on a hike.
I'm turning 10 on June 19th and I am just basicly chilling off this summer. And I have seen a natrualtist (AKA) Josh #30. Oh and I've been skiping APOD. SORRY I JUST WANT TO CHILL THIS SUMMER. HI TO ALL Peolple from SITW! :D

P.S See all of you at the reunion!

-high 5s Sean

zane pond boy said...

Good idea blaise i will do that. Also yes La Foret does mean the forest in french.

Tessa-fan of Summer Days!!! said...

Has anyone realised that it's the Summer Solstice today?
Everyday after today will be shorter and shorter. :(. Oh well. Colder days and snow can sometimes be fun I guess. Talk to everyone later!

jwuerth said...

Great for you to notice that Tessa! In the higher latitudes the Solstice Day takes on significantly more meaning. I know in Alaska it is a time of celebration and also a time of dread due to the thoughts of shorter days. Winter is around the corner they say.

How is the solar oven doing? Baking anything exciting?

JAMIE CORTEZ said...

hi. I going to my grandmas house really sone. I really mess sitwood. Any way I fowned a ant hill in my back yard they are midden sized and there thoraxes are black,the rest of there bodies are red

Anonymous said...

Hank- I had a great summer so far. I have a house in Ohio. It has 1 level and is vary small. I have many new friends already. I can see a big park from my house so I'm close to it. I want to Florida and got a really bad sunburn. It was so bad it made a scab, but it went away. Me and my grandpa caught a fish that was as tall as me . OOO! I forgot, I fond the biggest horse shoe crab ever. It was about 3 and a half feet in diameter. He will be hung on my wall after the stink goes away. I saw dolphin , manatee ,hermit crabs and we caught crabs to eat. It' s bin in the 90's and 80's in ohio. I am missing the school already. talk latter by for now,

Tessa said...

I've baked some muffins that were super yummy in the solar oven so far. I've been at camp and on vacation so we haven't really gotten to do much else in it. I want to try to make banana bread soon. Can't wait for the reunion!!!

Aubrey M. said...

This summer I'm moving to Georgia we have put our house on the market but it hasn't sold yet. This summer I am also doing a musical theater class at Barbara Ellis Studio of Dance. I have been playing outside more often. We have also been to lots of farmers markets lately. Talk to you later.
-Aubrey

Anonymous said...

Hey naturalists! Im going to Texas in a couple of days. I am visiting some of my family. Im excided to study all the native plants down there. At my house, there have been some strange animal signs. There is a baby fox that was born in late spring. Now it's bigger. We've seen dead squirrels and crows and stellar jays. One day I was taking my dogs out and waited for them. I looked around tryed find something ineresting to look at. Then I looked at my dog Jade. She was scarfing something down. I got in front of her and she was eating a half of a bird. Another day I was walking around my yard and I saw a half eaten squirrel two days later I walked to where it was laying and it was gone. At night I wake up to this toddler screaming sound but deeper and a its a litle higher pitch sounding. I am familiar to this sound because in 2006 their was a turf war between the coyotes and foxes. The foxes live underneath my deck and in the front of my yard in the drainage pipe. In my mom's garden irises bloomed brownish purple, orange, white, ginger, purple,and yellow. My plants I planted for spring field projects are doing really well. I'll talk to you later in Texas.=}

Henry Rodriguez[#18]

Anonymous said...

Blaise-

Sorry I haven't blogged in awhile, my computer wouldn't let me. It's July now, only 17 more days until fair. I'll be excited to have a change in scenery-Montane Shrubland here I come! There is also a hall of african animals. It's called "African Safari". Their not open much. Each year, there's a animal show. One year there was a reptile expert. Well, I hope to see some of you at fair!9-

Carlie live out loud said...

I went to La Foret it was magnificent I went for 3 years every summer with my best friends Cassidy and Ava. La Foret was the best camp ever! Also this summer I went to two other camps after Magic Sky first I went to a day camp with Libby, Cassidy, Ava,and I it was called Kids For City Kids Day Camp it was the camp the people came to talk to us about after that camp I went to an overnight camp with Cassidy and Ava. It was called Eagle Lake I had a BLAST!!! there we had two hours to do whatever we wanted (so fun) I got sunburned on my thighs cuz it was to hot to wear pants we would wake up at 6:15 A.M to do dippy club. Dippy club is where you wake up extra early and go jump in the lake. (yes I know very cold water) then if we did it the whole week we got a dog tag that said dippy club 2010 it was so fun we went kayaking,canoeing,ziplining,blobing,so many fun things we played human foosball did we win yes kinda no there were two teams in the camp CRAWFORD that was my team and downing not my team but good news CRAWFORD won! we also had banquet night we would dress up all pretty and go have dinner boys were there too. We had a brother cabin who was hilarious now im also sick with just a bad cough nothing really I also got a hair cut and grew almost an inch

JJ said...

I have gone to Rocky Mountain National Park twice this summer! The first time I went to a talk about bighorn sheep called bighorn basics. Then, my family and I hiked from Bear Lake to Alberta Falls. After that, we went to the Alpine visitor center and there was snow banks the size of three mini vans combined. Five minutes after that we went down to the other side of the park and stopped by the head waters of the Colorado River and wrote about it. As we were driving home I found the first moose I have ever seen in the wild.

The second time I went to Rocky Mountain National park I went on a hike around Bear Lake. Later that day we tried to go to Sheep’s Lake for a presentation called elk echoes we made it to Sheep’s lake but there was a squall (a very strong storm) so it was probably canceled but I did get a few good pictures and I might put one or two on the blog. I had a great time so I hope I can go there some time soon.

Anonymous said...

I, this summer, went to the pool... with my cousions from austraila. I went to Estes park for 4th of july! The fireworks were AMAZING! We also went to Mary lake and Estes lake.We are going to a wedding next week, i am so exited. Then when we come back its my BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! July 19th :).Summer has gone by way to fast, seems like yesterday school ended.
-Garrett

tessa said...

Mr. Wuerth-we've made some blueberry muffins, a grilled cheese sandwich and some little wheat crisps. We are going to make biscuit pizzas.

Tessa said...

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot to tell everyone about something really neat that happened in New Hampshire! We had taken two days to go up to the mountains. We went to the Flume Gorge and when we were hiking, we saw some people standing there; taking pictures of what we assumed was just forest. As we got closer, they started shushing us and pointing at something. I looked in the direction they were and saw a furry, black, bear cub!!! At first my parents didn't see it. My mom thought that it was a fox or coyote or something. My dad couldn't even spot it it was so camouflaged! He had the cutest little face! But the mom wasn't anywhere in sight, so we didn't stick around very long. I would have taken a picture, but my camera was out of battery. After we got it charged, we got some good pictures of the Lost River park. I can't put pictures on a comment, but I wish I could!

Anonymous said...

Hank-It is hot in ohio right now and i've seen an albino squirrels baby deer with the white dots I identified them as white tailed deer. Today at tennis lessons I saw a TV flying around and 2 other hawks.My parents are making me do a math book and a reading book to work on. 10 pages a day!!!!!!! Other wise I'm dripping with sweat. Thats why I wasn't feeling well. Have fun.

SHoagland said...

hello fellow naturlasts, in my neighborhood a bear has bean spotted and I am cheking my yard for scat. I am also going in the Black Forest Parade with the Cub Scouts. I am hopefully going camping in Woodland Park along a bird reasearch trail. Tessa the biscuit pizza's are a great idea!

Sean sorts guy said...

yesterday a stray cat was found in my yard it was very nice. and about three weeks ago i signed up for tackle football at parks and wrec it took forever to get all the gear. And pritty soon im going to go camping and fishing. im finnaly 10 now! I got a lot of things for my birthday including a book, a deck of cards, a tangtop,tnt pop-its, sticerks, a drawing journal $30 dollars in giftcard for target, and a $20 bill and swimtruncks and another tangtop, fun spary string, a $20 giftcard for gamestop which i bought the games sly1 sly2 spiderman-2.And last but sertinly not least a 1200fps airpellat rifle for small game like squrriels, rabbits and some birds. and it is also a hunting safety rifle. It is going to be wierd going back to our old schools with all our old friends for me.


P.S Do u guys have any idea ho wto make some money besides chores... if you comment and i will look at the blog daily thank you very much! =D hope everyone has a great summer

Aubrey M. said...

I have had a great time this summer. I have read The View From Saturday,Bridge To Teribithia and many other books. I am on the 2nd book in the Harry Potter series and it is really good. Today I am going to a nature craft at the American girl doll store in Denver. We had some visitors come out here from Georgia and we went rafting, went to garden of the gods and rode the cog railway to the top of pikes peak.At the top , they sold shirts that said "Got oxygen?" and my cousin got one. Talk to you later. Bye!;)

Anonymous said...

Blaise-

I think the natives have adjusted to my chickens. At least they love their food. The ducks don't protect it very well.I've seen Stellar's Jays, as well as Squirrels, stealing it. Fair is less than a week away! I was recently reminded of something extremely cool yesterday when I was at the fairgrounds, helping prep for fair. I was sitting in the large livestock barn (it houses goats, pigs, and sheep, but the cattle are kept just outside of it), when some black birds flew in and started pecking around!
Oh yeah, the building that used to be African Safari (see comment 23) is either not being used or in housing something else this year.

If you can make it to fair, please do. It,s really fun!

SHoagland said...

hello naturalists, I have found a squirrel I can'ot identify. I was camping in terryall and found a small grey squirrel about 6 inches long and 1 inch tall, can one of you please help me?-Stephen.

Anonymous said...

Fair is here! You all know who is writing this, and I plan to spend ALL WEEK at fair (I am exhibiting). Today is-was coop in, when we bring all the animals. They have a bunch of stuff, including a petting zoo. Sometimes I bring my chickens out to work with them, but they're hard to keep track of (if you drop by, you'll see why).
Fair has made a ecological improvement! The fair's #1 drink is lemonade. The food stands have started selling medium sized reusable lemonade cups that you can refill for the price of a small, and they work all week!


-the only one who talks about fair
-Blaise

Nature Girl said...

Hi Guys!

Sorry it's been so long since I last commented. Things have been pretty busy around here. OH, and guess what, I have a new baby BROTHER!!!!! My 1st brother (I only have had sisters until now)!!! He was born on July 12 at 2:05 p.m and his name is William Caleb Kuhlmann but he goes by Caleb. Caleb is the cutest baby EVER!
Anyway, I really miss you guys and SITWoods more than you can imagine. I wish I was going back to SITWoods next year (but I'm REALLY looking forward to the reunion). I'll blog again soon.

Missing SITWoods,
Emily K.

Sydney V said...

hey every one this summer i went on two road trips the first was to Alabama it was a lot of fun and i just came back from Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon with my cousins it was so fun have any of you been to your National Park yet I am going to mine Canyonlands next summer I cant wait.

I miss you all
Sydney

SHoagland said...

hello! I have found several dead birds of the same kind. i wonder what happend.

Tessa said...

Sydney-About your National Park question. I would REALLY love to go to mine, Gates of the Arctic, but,
1. It's in Alaska
2. It's a lot of money to get there, even though admission's free
3. It's a 6 MILE HIKE IN!!!
SOOO, even thought it would be a ton of fun to go, those are the reasons I probably won't be able to until I'm older. Anyone else gone to theirs?

jwuerth said...

Hi Naturalists,
I have loved reading about your summer adventures and thoughts. I thought you might like to read a few highlights of my summer:
•Taught a week long nature class at SITW
•Spent 3 1/2 week driving 2500 miles and camping
Utah, Nevada, California and the redwoods, Oregon's coast, Washington, British Columbia, Canada, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
•Saw pictographs, petroglyphs, many birds and other animals, incredible redwoods and other Pacific northwest trees which grow HUGE, mountains, deserts, creeks and rivers
Now I am off to Costa Rica with my friend Scott to visit some property I bought.
Keep wondering and enjoying nature!
Mr. Wuerth

Anonymous said...

Blaise-

County fair is sadly over, but I leave for Toronto, Canada tomorrow! I would also like to thank Caleb #26 for dropping by! Sydney, Tessa, I wish Toronto wasn,t so far from Alaska! It would be awesome to go to MY national park, Glacier Bay
-see you all after a year of REGULAR SCHOOL at the reunion

The Girl who comments ALL the time ;) said...

You should bring all of us to Costa Rica, Mr. Wuerth!

cArLiE having a fantastic summer said...

hi every one every one sounds like they are having a BLAST this summer and so am I my family and I went to California for 9 days its super fun. The bad part though we didin't go to the beach i know that sounds weird but we werre so busy. We visted some friends of ours and they a little baby boy named Cameron he so cute. Also we went kayaking my dad and I were in the same kayak i was in the front and he was in thte back. when we were first going there were a lot of big waves because they were crashing into shore i got a lot of salt water on my face and so if I liked my lips it tasted like salt water. BLAH!

Anonymous said...

Hank - You guys wouldn't believe what I found!!!! I was playing base ball with my brother and dad. I hit a wonderful ball over the roof. My little brother Ethan went to get the ball and about five seconds later he came running back saying ''dad, dad!'' I came over and he explained that he found a skull of an animal. Finally, my dad came. At first he told me it's a squirrel. After a minute of thinking, we came to an agreement that we don't know what it is. We looked online to see if it was a bunny and we talked about it. We decided it's not a cat, bunny, squirrel, rodent or a small dog. I had a few questions, too. How long was it dead? I don't know that, but it is old. I looked at it and I felt like something was missing. It was its canine teeth. Oddly, they were missing. Nothing was there but two holes where its canines should be. So, I still have many questions like how did it die, where are its missing teeth, when did it die?

On the same day, same time, right before I hit the home run, I looked up and saw a bird's nest! It was old and I don't think anything lived in it. It might be a squirrel nest. I really need a skull and bird nest guide for Ohio.

Did any one hear about that skeleton from Africa that lived a long time ago, like 1.6 billion years ago? They said that it was a new species. It has a brain that is bigger than an ape's. They have long legs for running faster than us and arms that are really strong for climbing high in trees. They said that they died looking for water. They have tools good enough to know that they died looking at each-other in the eyes. The scientist said that they were ages ten and thirty one. Have fun !!! Hank

Anonymous said...

BLaise-

I am back! Toronto was not very pleasant to THIS naturalists ears and nose!
It's a city!
*Cities smell like gasoline and other nasty smells! BLEH!
*Cities also sound like motors and other loud things, and, mark my words, it's a MAJOR headache.
There were ups, though. I got to:
*sail on the Great Lake Ontario.
*go to the CN Tower (great view of the city(about 2000 ft tall( only about 5000 ft above sea level( Colorado is about 7000 ft above sea level).
*go to Niagra Falls (I got SOAKED because I didn't wear the poncho they gave the tourists).

PS. I now have 5 major hats (4 knitted, 1 store made, My sports-cap, my party hat, and 3 every day hats).

See you all in two seasons!-

-Baise

Tessa-naturalist awaiting the reunion!!! said...

Does anyone know of any easy recipes I could try in the Sun Oven? I doing a cooking club next year in it and I'm stuck for ideas. Mr. Wuerth...???
I'm learning about atoms and my mom and I made some atomic no-bake cookies. We made chocolate oatmeal balls and filled them chocolate chips, protons, and butterscotch chips, neutrons. Then we rolled them in sprinkles, electrons. I'm about to try one. They look REALLY good!!!
(p.s. My cousin and I are making a new blog for kids who like tea and reading. Here's the website, "www.teabooksblog.blogspot.com", if anyone's interested.)

Tessa-Coyote story lover! said...

Here's a Coyote story for everyone!

Where Did Earth Come From?

Long, long ago, in the First Time, Coyote the Trickster-God who was also First Creator, was walking around the world one day when he saw the Human Beings. He grinned, with his red tongue lolling over his teeth. People seemed very odd to Coyote, Only two legs—they could not walk properly—only lurch forward as if falling! No fur! Always yapping! He tried to imagine being something so strange. “What would being a human be like?” he said.

So Coyote put himself into a kernel of corn in the humans' garden, and waited until a girl ate the corn. When she swallowed the kernel of corn, it didn't stop at her stomach but went right to her womb and made her pregnant. In the First Time, things like this could happen.

So in nine months Coyote was born as a human being. The girl who bore him vanished into the Spirit world, for she had given birth to a Spirit. When he was a little boy, he was a little different from the others, because he would always ask everyone he saw, “Who am I? Where did I come from? Are you my mother?” People would laugh and shake their heads.

Then Coyote took to wandering the prairies, and when he came to Cottonwood tree by a stream he would say “Hello. Who am I? Where did I come from? Are you my mother?” And Cottonwood would just shake its leaves.

When Coyote saw Red–tailed Hawk circling the sky above him, he cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled out, “Hello. Who am I? Where did I come from? Are you my mother?” But Hawk just said “Skreeee” and waved his wings.

Coyote grew into a man with the humans, and everyone knew he was different, and maybe a little holy, because he never stopped asking his questions: “Who am I? Where did I come from?” But he was well liked, for he was a good hunter and a strong warrior, and a fine dancer to the Powers. And, he was very good at playing tricks.

One time Coyote went off alone on a long hunt. He was far from the people's town when a great storm seized the sky and black clouds rolled across the prairie toward him. Before he knew it the storm was on top of him. Coyote stood his ground and stared up at Thunderhead with rain lashing his face and cried, “Hello. Who am I? Where did I come from? Are you my mother?”
Thunderhead roared and sent down a bolt of lightning that whapped Coyote right between the eyes!

Then there was a flurry of motion and a yip-yip-yipping and a brown streak raced across the prairies to a nearby butte and sat on top, panting with his red tongue lolling over his teeth, and Coyote remembered everything. He chased his tail for a minute, laughing, then he barked three times at Thunderstorm, rolled over and over in the grass and dust and barked “Hello Mother!” How good to have four legs! What a good trick he had played on himself!

Coyote jumped up and raced toward the village. When he arrived he ran right to the center of the lodges and barked “I am Coyote and I come from the Earth, my mother.” And the people gathered round to hear him.

And among the smiling people was the girl, returned from the Spirit world.
And now, every year at this time, Coyote returns and leads the people in the dance, asking everyone he sees, “Who am I? Where did I come from? Are you my mother?”

Anonymous said...

Blaise-


Very quite past three days. my second day of school was today and it's not nearly as good as School in the Woods. Mr. Wuerth, Mrs. Espisito, how is the new batch of naturalists, and when are you going to introduce them to the blog? I'm sure all the other Alumni would ike to know, too!

Tessa said...

check out this website!
http://happynews.com/news/8242010/architect-designs-house-plane-parts.htm
it's really cool!!!

Ava J. said...

Mr.Wuerth my dad is making the last composter and we are going to bring it soon. This year is vrey easy because I pretty much already know everything all because of School in the Woods. :)

jwuerth said...

Hello all you 2009-2010 Honeybee naturalists. I hope you have had a great start to your fifth grade year and have found ways to share your passion for the natural world with others. Thanks to all of you who shared your summer adventures and thoughts with the rest of us. It was nice to hear from so many of you, and I am sure that your fellow naturalists have been following along.

I plan to post a new entry shortly for this year's naturalists to respond to. Feel free to share your words of wisdom with them and encourage more thoughtful writings.

Keep in touch. Remember, you will always be a School in the Woods naturalist, and our place in the Black Forest will live on in all our lives. Feel free to visit. We will have a grand get-together next May for the REUNION!

Sincerely,
Mr. Wuerth

Anonymous said...

will the reunion get here soon enough???!!!
will the reunion get here soon enough???!!!
will the reunion get here soon enough???!!!
will the reunion get here soon enough???!!!
will the reunion get here soon enough???!!!
will the reunion get here soon enough???!!!

Hannah B. naturelover said...

I've had an amazing summer so far! I even bought a new bird guide, I'm coming to the reunion. I miss School in the Woods SO much! I am and will always be a naturalist, and I can't wait to go to the reunion! Sorry my letter was so short.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I have to go another year, sitting in the classroom, and not outside. It,s been exciting, starting fifth grade, but it doesn't come within a hundred miles of going too School in the Woods.

-Blaise

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Earth how has your new year been? I miss all you guys soooooooo much! I agree with blaise it feels wierd being in the classroom and not in the woods.I wnt uot to SITW last saturday and i saw the new garden it looks great! Ihave s stuffed phesant and i was wondering when I should bring it out.I am going out to SITW on a field trip and I cant wait!When are you going to introduce this website to the 2010-2011 naturalist P.S.Every time I hear the words "Keep wondreing" I get tears in my eyes.Love you Lots! CHLOE BENDER

Tessa said...

When will you put the new post up for the new naturalists? I think it would be really fun to communicate with them and see how they like SITW.

Rachel Noel SITW girl forever and ever and ever and ever! said...

Hello everybody!!! I just wanted to say hi and I agree with Chloe I am getting frustrated just sitting all day!!! I miss you all so much, I can't wait to see you at the reunion!!!
Miss you,
Rachel Noel

jwuerth said...

Hi Naturalists,
Glad to hear a few of you stopped by. Feel free to come out and see your old stomping grounds. The pheasant would be a nice addition. I am here most days until 4:00 or so.

Make sure you all get outside after school and on weekends to reconnect with the natural world and "put your senses in tune once more." Maybe next week I can introduce this year's naturalists to the blog.
Keep wondering! (sorry Chloe)
Mr. Wuerth

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Earth, soon my mom will let me skip a couple of hours of school and go out to SITW. Henry and I still agree SAVE WILBORN WOODS!!!!!CHLOE BENDER

jwuerth said...

It would be nice to see you. The name of the woods is Wayburn Woods. Beth Gardner, Rachel, and Hollis would be happy to have you at the cabin.

Unknown said...

hi i just decided to look at this website today how is everyonne doing i miss school in the woods so much kennedy

Cameron said...

Hi everyone, how are you guys doing. I miss school in the woods so much! Ive been having a lot of fun and i am about to go camping!!!

jwuerth said...

There's a new post to comment to.
Mr. Wuerth

Anonymous said...

Anonymous siad... #28 I LOVE SCHOOL IN THE WOODS! It is the best school in the world, especialy because it envolves nature. I love reading about animals and drawing them! My favorite animals are African lions, wolves and horses. Oh, and dogs. I love hiking too. One time I was hiking up in Garden of the Gods with my friends and found a very sharp stick. Later, I made a bow-and-arrow. It worked exceptionally well. The arrow or the stick even stuck upright in the ground when I shot it!!! I also found what looked like Indian pottery. It was shaped like a small pot or some bottle. It had a hole not deep enough to put anything in. It was just big enough that you could stick the end of your pointer finger into it. It was a wounderous sight! I don't know if I took it home because I can't find it. My favorite thing to do at school is sledding. There's this green sled that is soooo fast and go's soooo so far. Also it's easy to turn. You guys should try it! I can't wait to go to school tomorrow! Everyday at School in the Woods there is some mystical and suprising activities. I can't wait to see what will happen next! I hope all my fellow naturalists will comment! L.B.

Post a Comment