Hello Naturalists,
Welcome to our School in the Woods Blog. This is a way for all of us naturalists to communicate with others about the discoveries we make and our new knowledge gained. We can also share feelings we have about our naturalists experiences. Our blog allows us to share, through our comments, personal experiences and wonderings.
Let's start off your SITW blogging by sharing a bit about the first part of your year out here in the woods. Think of a favorite activity you have done or an experience you have had. Describe what you were doing and how you felt about what was happening. What made the activity or experience special? Introduce your writing with a topic sentence that makes the readers want to read more. End your comment with a concluding sentence that wraps up your thoughts in a meaningful way. Write in a way that makes you want to share your thoughts with others. The comment should be between 75-125 words. Type it in a Word document first so you can correct all conventions. Then copy and paste it in the comment box.
P.S. Make sure you identify yourself with your first name or number. Do not include your last name. Your comment must be submitted by Monday, November 1, 2010.



65 comments:
I absolutely love our parent volunteers this year! They are as amazing as last year's! I am so fortunate to have this support. -Mrs. Powers
I have had a wonderful time at school so far. One of my favorite experiences was taking my spelling test in Mr. Wuerth’s room. I sat next to a window near a large bird feeder and watched the birds come and go. All of the sudden, two squirrels jumped onto the platform and started to stuff their mouths with seeds. Then, as quickly as they had come, they were gone. This was repeated many times. Almost five minutes later, one of the squirrels started to stare right into my eyes. I looked right back at him (or her) and then it was gone and never came back during the test again. This was one of the most amazing experiences I have had at School in the Woods.
#27
I have a passion for birds. I love to watch as they gently fluff up their feathers in the pond that lies directly underneath the bright yellow sun in my back yard. I love to hear the sounds of birds seeming to sing good morning to you.I know the weather will be nice when I see a yellow finch basking in the sun. There are a variety of birds who come visit my back yard. We have a couple common visitors some are the robins, house finches, crows, and black birds. If you look hard enough you might find a yellow finch, blue bird, humming bird, and maybe a woodpecker. Many of these birds transfer seeds, so what your neighbor is growing you are most likely to have too. I don’t see many birds now because they have migrated but my passion for them still remains this is a fun activity for me to do. I am excited to see them in spring.
Kelly L. said-
School in the Woods is the best school ever! My favorite experience was the perimeter hike. I liked it because we got to see an owl pellet, the aspen grove, and the prang mantis. When we went out in the glories of nature. We heard the wind singing, the birds chirping, and the trees swaying in the breeze. We also got to see a duck skull, eggs, and more parts of the body. I think a coyote got the duck for dinner. This was one of the best parts of School in the Woods.
Nature is amazing! I wish I could stay at here the rest of my life. My best experience happened just last Thursday at Fountain Creek Nature Center. One of the docents was talking about the water cycle in front of the man-made water fall. Suddenly, out of the bushes on the other side, a stocky figure with a bobbed tail appeared. I raised my binoculars to see a mid-sized bob cat. I was stunned to see one at this time of day because it was bright out. Cats prefer coming out around don and dusk. This was the most astonishing thing in my life.
I have had a wonderful time at School in the Woods.
My favorite activity so far is the PH test at the pond.
My passion is about birds just like Christine.
I just love the way the sing their song at the bright, yellow sun above our Earth.
They always keep their song going from early dawn to the dim light of the twilight.
Also, the beautiful ponderosas which surround are beloved school are what I love to learn about too. I just love the way the needles glitter in the sun. #45
Anonymous said... #28
I love nature. Nature is the most fascinating and valuable thing on Earth. It provides many different resources. Just think of all the wonders it hides inside. Animals, the human body, plants, astronomy and the Earth it self are a part of these wonders. They are all so unique. Some have funny names like kinnikinnik or the aye-aye. My favorite things in nature are African lions, all wolves and horses. In reality I love all animals. Nature has so much to offer.
My absolute favorite part of the year so far was the over night. This was my first time sleeping out under the stars. ( I sort of based my birthday on the overnight. Me and a few of my friends slept outside and when I woke up there was frost on my sleeping bag.) My favorite part of the overnight was meeting Grandpa Tree and hearing stories told by Mr. Standsfield. It was my favorite part of the overnight because we think that Grandpa Tree is the oldest tree on the property. And because the stories that Mr.Standsfield told were amazing. That is what my favorite part of the year was so far, but who knows what is to come.
#16
Cory
School in the Woods is the best school I have ever been to! I especially like it when the squirrels try to get enough food (seeds) for the winter. They go up and down the tree to get to the feeders. The Aberts squirrel can be gray, black, or brown. At home, we have a squirrel called Chubby that comes to our porch. We give him (Mom, thinks it is a girl) peanuts.
My favorite thing so far this year was going on the perimeter hike. What I liked about the perimeter hike was seeing all the Douglas fir trees. I loved seeing the bird skull! The grove of aspen trees where we had lunch was beautiful. Another thing I experienced on the hike was listening to the sounds of nature and the smells of the trees. I am enjoying things at School in the Woods and looking forward to the rest of the school year. OH YEAH MS.ESPOSITO,MR.WUERTH, MRS.POWERS, AND MS.ROBERTS YOU ROCK!!!!!!
#29
Kennedy
Painted Lady #46 said…
Going to Chico Basin was a really interesting experience. My favorite part was when we got to collect bones, horns and pieces of hoof. I got a leg bone, a backbone, a horn and a hoof. We were only allowed to take home one of the bones, but another student gave me their bone on the bus. I also learned that cowboys have to do different tests to make sure that the grass is not getting over grazed. If the grass has been grazed, then they keep the cows in their pens until the grass grows back. Chico Basin was a great place to learn about the grasslands.
When I was at School in the Woods my favorite thing to do was to journal outside in my secret spot. When there was a slight breeze, the birds were singing and I could hear the soft rustle of the leaves, my mind would wander, thoughts would flood my mind, and the words would flow right through my pen and into my journal. It was always a wonderful time of quiet reflection and discovery. It was a time to sit and just wonder...... I miss School in the Woods.
Linda Conway
Naturely Lauren
My pation is just like christines,I also like birds. Birds are great animal.When I walk into my back yard I see humming birds. They sore through the sky like a plane. They perch on branches softly and quitly,you can barley even tell they're their. fluttering their wings like a butterfly,makes a buzzing sound.Birds can be an extrordanary thing.
speaking of birds,I herd that one of the spring feild projects are catching birds with nets.I can't deside if I should do finding animal tracks or cathing birds,it'skinnd of hard to deside.#10
My experience at Fountain Creek Nature Center was awesome! I found it surprising that there was so much milkweed, they had so many seeds and it was fluffy. The beaver skin was really soft and warm. I wish I could go every day. Ms.Nancy was nice and interesting. She knew lots of facts about the creek and all the plants and animals that lived there. We saw a couple of animals. One animal we saw was a rabbit. I want to go again.
Brayden #6
I decided I will write about my perimeter hike. I had so much fun on the hike. First when we got started I was so excited. I jumped out of my seat and I ran and got ready as fast as I could, but not too fast because I didn’t want to waste my energy. Well we were off and ready to go, up ahead was a big clear field of grass. We sat down and wrote about a dragonfly that did an energetic routine of catching bugs right out of the air. It reminded me of a time that I saw a dead dragonfly with a dead praying mantis in its mouth. We also saw three to five horned lizards, they were amazing and I loved learning all the facts about them. They are fast little critters! I also learned that they can squirt blood out of their eyes if they feel threatened. We also learned about different kinds of plants like skunk brush, miner’s torch, blue gromma and many more. I had so much fun on the hike. When it was done I was so tired, but it was worth it!
#35
I made a lot of discoveries in my first quarter of school. One of my discoveries that I made was about pikas (small rabbits) that live in the Alpine tundra on my first field trip to Pikes Peak. Pikas are active all year long, but in the winter they stay in their homes and feed on grasses instead of hibernating. Another discovery I made was on my second field trip to Chico Basin was that cowboys studied the plants and grasses so they could determine how healthy the plains were. I can’t wait for my next field trip where I’ll make more exciting discoveries.
When I was out at recess gazing at the trees, I saw a squirrel going up and down the trees. Then suddenly it stopped and just looked straight into my eyes like it had never seen a human before. When it was finished observing me it just went back to doing what it was doing, but as I left I could feel him watching me. I stopped and turned to notice he was following me. Then it stared down on me as if it was going to climb down and get a better glance. This was just one of the exciting interactions I have had with nature at School in the Woods.
School in the Woods is the best ever. My favorite experience was the perimeter hike. We saw so many things like a duck skull and eggs. We saw some owl pellets. We ate at an aspen grove. Aspen groves are the biggest organism in the world. I love the aspen grove. We went out in the glorious nature and heard the birds sing and the wind blow through the trees. There are so many different plants out there. School in the Woods is the best school ever.
#12
oh wondering wandering along the mountain range and wondering wandering wondering wandering along the grass land planes wondering wandering wondering wandering wondering along the wood land woods wondering wandering wondering wandering along the wetland waters
My neighborhood rabbits are Samuel and Hoppers. The only way to tell Samuel apart from Hoppers are their legs. Samuel has white legs and Hoppers has red legs. Samuel is the youngest rabbit he was born last year. When Samuel was a baby I took care of him. Samuel had a bloody lip when he was young.
I love School in the Woods! My favorite experience was when we went on the field trip to Chico Basin and Fountain Creek. I loved when we got to learn about prairie ecology. I really liked collecting bones and estimating how long the cows are able to stay there, or if they have to let the grass grow some more before they come again. It was amazing when Rebecka and I found the cow skull and a few other parts. I also really liked when Katy showed us around the corral. At Fountain Creek Nature Center, I really enjoyed seeing that huge waterfall and the way the water flowed down into the lake below. I enjoyed seeing all the furs they had. So far, this is something at School in the woods I enjoyed the most. # 14 2010-2011
Jack said…
My best day at School in the Woods so far was the perimeter hike. I really like seeing all the horned lizards in the grass. They blended into their environment and they were hard to see. It helps them by blending in so no predators can get them. We also saw a duck skull. It looked like it had been eaten by a coyote or a wolf. There were so many plants on the perimeter hike. I think we saw some scouler willows but I am not sure. When this plant is dry, it is curly, but when it gets wet, it is straight and then when it dries up, it screws into the ground. Deer like to eat them. I had so much fun on the perimeter hike that I hope to do more hikes like this one. #19
Dillon said,
My favorite learning experience so far at School in the Woods was when my friend, Peter, and I were out at the outdoor classroom catching terrestrial invertebrates. We had caught quite a few crickets when we saw it….it was a beautiful butterfly sucking nectar from a flower. We inched toward it and raised the net and blam! Our first butterfly was fluttering inside. I slowly held the jar and put our specimen in it.
I observed silently, got a field guide and saw it, a buck eyed butterfly. It had black spots and stripes. The rest of the butterfly was orange. There is no doubt about it, that is by far the best part of School in the Woods for me.
#13
#38 said… I thought the Chico Basin field trip was amazing! I never knew there were so many different kinds of grasses. The pond there was so incredible! It was only 9.00 in PH, that is about what the pond is at School in the Woods. The pond was huge at Chico Basin. The horses were amazing to see and they were beautiful animals. I learned a lot about these animals and the equipment used for them. The equipment was extremely hard to lift up. Wow, what an amazing year I have had so far at School in the Woods! I WONDER WHAT’S NEXT???
Nature girl #31 I think the best part about being at School in the Woods is just being outside and being so close to nature, where as at a regular school you are smack in the middle of the city. At School in the Woods has so many fun things you couldn’t do at a regular school like orienteering and the sleepover. Can’t wait for the first snow that will make outside recess even sweeter and prettier with all the white glimmering snow. I think that my rest of the year here will be as great as the last quarter maybe even better, I hope so! Till next time.
This Autumn's weather has been amazing! We have been able to be outside in nature more this year than I can remember in the past. On Friday, every naturalists did an awesome job with their first true orienteering experience. Most teams found at least half of their correct punches. Three teams were able to complete their entire course correctly. They did an amazing job of communicating with each other as they took turns walking the correct distances and headings. Lillie even found three owl pellets. It was truly a terrific Fall day for my math naturalists!
Ms. Roberts
This year at School in the Woods my favorite experience has been the Chico Basin field trip. It is my favorite part about School in the Woods because we got to see horses, frogs, and more. My favorite part about Chico Basin was the prairie ecology. We learned what the animals eat and what their favorite foods are. My second favorite part was the pond. The pond had lots of organisms. One organism that we mostly saw was the snail. Another animal that we saw was an American bullfrog. It was very interesting and jumpy. Finally, we went to the corral. At the corral, we got to learn about what the horses have to wear and what the people who ride the horses have to wear. The horses have to wear a saddle and a thing that they can play while they’re walking. The people who ride the horses have to wear chaps, boots, and spurs. Last we got to look at the bones that they collected. Some still had hair! Chico Basin is one of the many reasons why I like School in the Woods.
Jake #7 said
My First 3 Months at SITW
My life is much better since I came to SITW in August 2010. My sister Kayla said it would be fun because she came here 2 years ago. I like archery the most about SITW because it makes my arms stronger. The field trips are fun especially when we go to exciting places like Chico Basin. I have many friends at SITW. My friends are nice at SITW. I can't wait till winter because we get to sled. Those are my first three month that I did at SITW.
My favorite experience so far at School in the Woods was going to Chico Basin. I was shocked when Ashton and I found a cow skull while we were grass farming. It was strange when we saw there was still meat on the back of it. My mom had to clean it in a bucket half full of water and half full of bleach for 24 hours. Another great experience I had at Chico Basin was petting and meeting Carrot. I was stunned when I petted Carrot, her fur was so soft! Every field trip something exciting happpens to me.
Of all of the many experiences that would make
me say “oh, I will remember this one!” I would
have to choose a hike that we took. It wasn't
just any hike; it was the perimeter hike, and
it was on a phenomenal day! We made many
discoveries, like the short-horned lizard.
It was a 3 inch long lizard with a slightly
oblong, but mostly round body. Its horns were
mostly pointing back, like cat’s fur, and they
are slightly round. When you look into its cold,
ancient, timeless eyes you realize “What a
discovery!” This was one of those things that
captivates you and keeps you wondering about it
for the rest of the day. Another discovery we
made was the praying mantis, with its green body
cautiously sneaking around. It was a salubrious
green color. Its stick-like features and hook
like arms made it unmistakable to identify. Those
were just a few of the many intriguing discoveries
we made. I thought it was invigorating how we
found so many things in so many memorable places.
#52
#47 says: Two of my favorite days were the school trips. I remember seeing all the eco-systems at Pikes Peak and learning about each one. On our recent field trip I remember at Fountain Creek we saw a turtle and duck. Every day is new , different and exciting at School in the Woods. I wish I could go there forever and ever.
School in the Woods has been a phenomenal experience for me. My favorite thing so far was the field trip to Pikes Peak. We spent the whole first quarter learning about the ecosystems of the mountains. My favorite ecosystem was the subalpine forest because I personally thought it had the best plants and animals. The animal that I liked best was the red fox. We saw a red fox that seemed to be lost because it had a confused look on its face. Another reason I liked the subalpine forest was it had one of the oldest tree specimens in Colorado. Another favorite ecosystem of mine was the alpine tundra. I liked the alpine tundra because it’s a very bare place. The animals and plants that do live there have qualities to help them survive in the extreme environment. The one animal I thought was dumbfounding was the pika. Unlike other alpine tundra animals, the pika doesn’t hibernate. I learned many things about the 5 ecosystems of the mountains on my field trip to Pikes Peak. I can’t wait to see what’s coming next!!! #39.
Bravo! - to all naturalists who have commented so far.
The written language has been delightful to read. Your word choice and voice are remarkable! What an inspiration we all are to each other!
We all look forward to reading the rest of the comments.
KEEP WONDERING!
I love to participate in hikes during the day. Some of my favorite things about them are some of the many discoveries we make during the hikes. I love the highly florescent smells of the many ponderosa pines. The scenery is such a sight to behold. I love to think of how much this forest has changed over its many years in this area. I remember how different spider webs look when they are covered in dewdrops. There are many unique trees in the forest older and younger. I think that so many trees cover the area that if you tried to count every tree in the forest, several more would have grown up again. Many plants are in the forest. My favorite plant I have discovered this year is either the kinnikinnik or lichen. I have too many favorites so those are just a few. I love the things and surprises nature has to offer to all living things.
#18
One of the most exciting experiences was the overnight. I have never had the chance to sleep out in the woods with nothing to shelter me. I was a little bit scared but I got used to it. My favorite part was stargazing and seeing star clusters. That night we were able to sit by The Grandfather Tree and listen to stories by Mr. Stansfield. We went on a hike in the morning and saw deer and a huge crow. After the evening hike we had smores and hot chocolate. The year so far has been a once in a lifetime experience.
J Science #17 said …
One of my favorite experiences is seeing three families of Bobcats in my neighborhood and my backyard. This is how I found one of the families . I went outside into the natural world (that I truly love and adore) and I walked along a little . Then I looked up and saw a mother Bobcat and two kittens playing. I sprinted inside (which was not the smartest thing to do) and told my parents about this sighting and discovery.They came out fascinated at what I had found. I told them look about what I found, and they said “I know, it’s amazing”. This is one of the things that I like about living in my neighborhood .
Then I saw another family of Bobcats when my mom and I were driving home. The last sighting of Bobcats was found in our neighbor Clayten’s front yard . The kittens were just playing and climbing trees . The funny thing was they barely even noticed us . The peculiar thing about this is they were all found right near our house !
Lastly, I have realized that I have eagle eyes, as I was the first one on the perimeter hike who discovered the praying mantis , the owl pellet , and the birds nest that was camouflaged by the Douglas Fir. So far these are the wonderful things I think are fascinating besides getting into School in the Woods which I have longed to go to for years.
I’m having a wonderful time at school. One of the activities I liked was the overnight. I was so excited to be able to sleep outside in the wilderness. It was cool that I wasn't sleeping in a tent. I didn't have anything to cover me except my sleeping bag. My brother and I saw a plane flying over us. In the morning, there was fog covering the ground. It looked like a graveyard in a movie--a little creepy but cool. The breakfast was great. We had poppy muffins and many other delicious treats. I have had a great experience so far this year I can’t wait to learn more.
I have loved everything about School in the Woods! One of the things I’ve liked best about this awesome school year was being able to go out to the pond. Now I can tell without looking at the pink sheet of paper what class a pond is. The names of water organisms, and what class pond they live in, is something I’ve enjoyed learning. Another thing that is incredulous about this school year was getting to have a college buddy. My college buddy was very nice. I’ve liked being able to see the many people who have come to visit. It makes me feel so good to know that our school is one of a kind. So far I’ve made fifty- two new friends. The spelling tests here are not like any ordinary spelling tests. How many kids have a teacher who acts out almost every single word? Well, the kids at School in the Woods do! One, just one, of the most awesome things we’ve done with Ms. Roberts has been orienteering. I can’t wait to see what adventures will come next!
Luke. B says-
My favorite experience at school in the woods so far is probably when I got my solo spot. When I got it I was so excited because we were going to get a special spot to write and we didn’t have to do it at are desk inside. Another thing I like about my solo spot is that it is shady and has a tree to sit against and the tree gives me a lot of soft pine needles that act as cushions. I hope I will have more experiences like this at School In The Woods.
Nature girl #31
Going out on the hikes makes me feel content and connected to nature. On comfortably cool days when the sun is shining and the birds singing, everything feels perfect when I am entranced by the notes of a bird’s song. When the chipmunks and the squirrels are chattering in the trees towering high above my head its music to my ears. Though some girls may never go outside benign afraid of the natural world, I prefer building a wiki up better than a trip to the mall. I have found all of my experiences out here in the natural world so far much better then any day out in the city. Till next time.
Kevin #40
One of my favorite experiences at School in the Woods is going to the pond. Most of the time we go to the pond I catch Leopard Frogs. Once on a field trip I also caught an American Bull Frog. The American Bull Frog had humps on its back and that's where its legs end. Another thing at the pond I enjoy is measuring the dissolved air pressure. I love seeing all of the organisms in the school pond. Every time I go to the pond I always see the marvelous Grandma Tree. The trip to the pond is a great hike, all the animals are fascinating.
Kinney Kinnik Kid 36 said…
My favorite thing at School in the Woods so far is going to the pond. I like going to the pond because I get to catch organisms. Once I caught about eight snails. I learned that the pond at SITW is a class one pond because of the organisms. The organisms are like us, some really don’t like dirty water. And we once caught one that couldn’t survive in dirty water. Once someone caught a leopard frog but that was nothing compared to the American bull frog we caught at Chico Boson. Well that’s all.
PS my nickname has nothing to do with the above.
Nut man21 said…
Ever since the first time Mr. Wuerth took us out to the field, I’ve been interested in nature’s wild foods such as wild onions, rose hips, and acorns. I really would like to learn more about the different edible plants in the wild. It would be interesting to taste some of these foods or to try to experiment with them in the kitchen. What type of nuts grow in the mountane forest? Are there different berries that only grow in the mountane forest?
Lauren b. said...
School In The Woods has been so amazing. Befor I began attending School In The Woods I thought that I would hate it.When I started goingI felt as if I wasn't in school any more.After a few weeks we got a solo spot.At our solo spot when I write paragraphs I love when I see the birds taking larva out of the bark with its beak.I also watch the squirrles stuff their mouths with mushrooms constantly for the winter. This time of yearyou don't see much color,the only color that you might see is old dried up mushrooms that are mostly pale colors.being a naturalist has been so much fun and i will never stop being a naturalist untill the day I die.
#47 says: Two of my favorite days were the school trips. I remember seeing all the eco-systems at Pikes Peak and learning about each one. On our recent field trip I remember at Fountain Creek we saw a turtle and duck. When we went on the perimeter hike we saw lots of interesting things like a horned lizard and a praying mantis. We even saw a skull of a duck. The overnight campout was cool. I bundled up very tight and did not get cold. We woke up , went on a hike and had breakfast. It was a good way to meet kids from school. Every day is new , different and exciting at School in the Woods. I wish I could go there forever and ever.
The overnight at School in the Woods was exciting for me. It started with a regular school day. I could not wait for school to end so we could start our overnight adventure!!! When school finally ended we went on an afternoon hike. I saw many things, made many discoveries, and over all it felt good to be in nature again. While playing the super science show it was torture watching all the other people eat their Smores. It seemed like forever until I was chosen to go get my Smore. By that time it was dark out so we had to shine our flashlights so we could see the path to the girl’s camp. We changed for bed, although it was awfully hard to do in sleeping bags. I read for fifteen minutes by the light of my flashlight, and then it was lights out. Everyone was quiet. There was an eerie silence that sent a shiver through me. I dozed off gazing at the stars. Dreams were in my head of that day. I woke up and looked around me, then remembered where I was. I got a sudden rush of excitement. The morning hike was adventurous. It seemed like everything was just waking up, just like me. When we got back I was tired and hungry. Luckily it was time to eat. Then we wrote a few paragraphs about the overnight. Sadly it was time to go home, time had flown by. This was truly an exciting and memorable occasion for me.
Luke-20
MY EXPERIENCE AT SCHOOL IN THE WOODS
My experience so far at School in the Woods has been awesome! My best experience so far has been the Chico Basin field trip. I liked it because there were many activities that taught us about ranching. For example, one activity was when we learned about prairie ecology. How important the grass is to the herds of cows and what kinds of life the prairie supports. Then our group found all these cow bones. It was so cool!
Another thing we did was go to the pond and I caught a toad. This was the best field trip ever!
Rachel said...
Hey guess what we just had a Halloween party at School in the Woods!!! It was awesome! I really enjoyed it .I was a Ballerina. Mr.Wuerth tried to embarrass me in front of the class. He told me to dance and I didn’t do it. I just sat down. Can I help it if I didn’t want to do it? Now you know how our party went!
Dylan said…
I like the Pikes Peak field trip because I liked when we went to the top and went to the shop. Going to the top, I saw the yellow-belly marmot and we saw some deer. While I hiked some of the day, it was cold and windy. The sun wasn’t really out and the clouds were low and all over the mountain. When we got to the top of the mountain, we went into the shop. The shop was really warm inside. I was happy to be in there. In the shop I saw cakes, rocks, stuffed animals, and other toys too. I liked the hot cocoa and the donuts. It was fun when we got to the top because we got to walk around the building for a little bit then we got to sit down where it was warm to eat and drink.
School in the Woods is the best! Every thing we do is with nature. At night when you are outside, you can hear the birds singing and the fireflys glitering. The stars are very bright at night (especially jupiter). You can see it just shine in the night. The best thing about it is if you have a telescope to see all of those shining stars just through that one piece of equipment . You can even see the bright joyful moon you look at every night (ecsept for the new moon).
School in the Woods is a great experience.
Desneiges #15
On our field trip to Chico Basin I found a male cow skull that was infested with Paper Wasps! One of the wasps was taunting me and one wasp hitched a ride on my arm. When we were with Ms. Katy we saw a Golden Eagle skull, a horse skull, a bison skull, and a prairie dog skull. While at the pond, Kevin caught an American bull frog. Luke and I caught a four inch wide toad!
#41
Squirrel dude #33 said…….
I agree with everyone else who has blogged - School in the Woods is the best school ever! My favorite thing to do is take hikes and explore. I love learning new things. I love being in nature watching birds sing and squirrels swoop tree to tree. For example, I loved the perimeter hike. We saw so many new and cool things like a duck’s skull, a horned lizard, a praying mantis, and a humming bird moth. These things are so interesting to me, because before this hike I never knew about them, and there they were right in front of me.
hello this is former naturalist Stephen,I was just wondering how things are going along around SITW. hope I get the chance to write soon!
Anonymous said... #28
A lot of us naturalists love to go to the pond including me. The pond is very interesting. It is very inspirational because holds many questions of which many are answered. It also has different organisms like riffle beetles, water boatmen, leeches, snails, leopard frogs, dragon flies and many more! Finding the dissolved oxygen is a fun activity as well as finding the pH. I know the pond is a class one pond. Another thing that a lot of the naturalists like is the over night. I remember the morning hike where the dew dripped and made the earth smell fresh. The smell of wet pine tickled our noses. No other school has any of the amazing activities except for School in the Woods.
Butterfly girl said…
As I was walking through my neighborhood I saw
Something so awesome! Down the street I saw a huge
huge male mule deer. There it was the biggest mule deer
I have ever seen in my hole entire life,and today as I
Crept behind the corner there it was the same male mule
Deer again! So end of that subject Chico Basin when we
Were there we saw many cool things and discoveries like…
Bones, cow skulls, and such. As we wandered through
We may have gotten to herd sheep, learn more about
Skulls and fir, well that wraps it up until next time.
Butterfly girl #5
KC
The perimeter hike was probably my favorite thing I did in the past quarter. I really enjoyed it because we found lots of discoveries like the short horned lizard. We learned a lot on the perimeter hike that was one of my favorite things I did. I have to say that the giant puff ball was pretty cool to! It was really fun I hope that I have a better second quarter!
From-Awesome Nature Man#26
My great experience about School in the woods was the overnight.The overnight was awesome,we got to play games, roast marshmallows,and mush them right up,mm. I liked when Mr.Stansfield came and told a great story before bed, then we went into the meeting room and enjoyed the science game while eight people went out to roast marshmallows with all the parents.Finally we went to our spots and read our books for a couple minuets, then Mrs.Esposito said "lights out" and then we went to bed. School in the woods rocks! Kennedy
butterfly girl #5 said... sleep over when I was at the sleep over I heard and saw many really interesting things just like when Mr. Standsfield told the story about the boy and the tree and two others also and when we got back we had a fire for us and everything and as we were waiting we go to play super science show! And once I got my smore I had accidently ate two. But at the end of the night it was reading time and during that time I told scary stories to tell in the dark, but at the end it was lights out and sleeping under the stars was great or as a naturalist would say magnificent! Then I dozed of to sleep with the night sky.
Stories, great stories. One word after another I get more and more soaked into the ways of storytelling. Stars gleam apon our faces and make the stories even more interesting. Mr.Stansfield makes them so real, so pure I want to jump right into the story and never come out, yes this was my favorite time of the year.
Have fun at Scool in the Woods 2010-2011 naturalists. 2009-2010 naturalist, Kristina Schneible #20
Hello naturalists! My name is Micah Wilborn from the Honey Bee Class of 2009-2010. I hope you guys are having the greatest time of your life out there in School in the Woods. SITW was my most favorite year. I learned about science, nature, but most of all I learned to have a new respect for the world. You will take away many things from this year. MR.WUERTH, MS.ESPOSITO, MS.POWERS, MS.ROBERTS, You were the best teachers I ever had in the whole entire universe!!!!!!!!!! PS. Please show to all teachers at SITWoods
My favorite experience at school at the woods is when I am sitting at my solo spot.
Here I am surrounded by sweet smelling ponderosas, below them I see younger trees like some people would say “Surround yourself with who you want to be”. The soil covered in pine needles below me is truly comfortable to sit on. The sweet smelling trees scatter pinecones on top of the pine needles. When I sit at my solo spot I sense joy swift through me as I sit. I wish the people who are reading this can sit out in nature, and feel the joy and smell the sweet scent that I do when I sit at my solo spot.
By Milla
School in the Woods is such an inspiring school , the people there are so nice and helpful.
The second most memorable moment that I have had at School in the Woods so far is when I went to the overnight. The woods were dark the stars are bright and I slept like a
baby. The next morning we had breakfast , what other school does that!!
That day we had a half day. School in the Woods is just the best school ever!!!!!!!
☺
Hi, I'm Tessa, a naturalist from 2009-2010 SITW year. We had our perimeter hike towards the end of the year, but i guess you have all had yours not too long ago! I think that the Overnight was one of my favorite things, too, but I liked pretty much everything!!! Mr. Wuerth, Mrs. Powers, Mrs. Esposito, and Ms. Roberts were so fun to be around!!! I bet everyone has made lots of friends so far this year!
Hello I'm Sean from 2009-2010 SITW year.
I hope you new natuarlists enjoy School in the Woods. Just to say my favorite thing at SITW was being with new people and making new friends. It was also really fun to have the overnight. I hope you guys and ghouls like Mr. Wuerth, Mrs. Powers, Mrs. Esposito, and Ms. Roberts. I think they're great. How do you guys and ghouls like Current Events?
Cya :D
While at the local park I made some great observations when I was lying in the big fields. One of them was that the noise from the geese that usually fills the park was gone because the geese had all migrated south. When I was strolling through the woods over by the pond I noticed the woods were almost silent and only a few animals lingered among the trees and they were probably scurrying around trying to get as much food to store for the winter as possible while this warm weather was holding up. Though the pond was freezing it was still not even partially frozen, unlike the one at school in the woods which was frozen in some spots when we ran by it during running club. I think so far SITW has been great and I can’t wait to preform Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. Till next time.
Post a Comment