Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reading and Learning About Naturalists


We have finished up doing our chautauquas, and this year's naturalists did quite well. They learned some fascinating information about "their" naturalists and have been making informative posters about them. Each one can now share a bit about the person they came to know and even be for awhile.

What about the naturalist inspired you? What kind of naturalist do each of you hope to be? If there was a naturalist biography about you, what interesting events would be included in the pages?

70 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remeber my chuataqua i was Martha Maxwell who are all you?
-christine #24 golden eagle class

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been posting much, but I just had an experience I had to share! I just saw a hawk fly so close I could see the white feathers on the under body, along with light grey, with a little bit of darker grey on top! I pulled out my field guide when I got to my house to post. I think it is a Northern Goshawk. It lives in Mountain forests where is were I live, too. The hawk was banking out of a stoop, a falcon dive when I gathered this information. I saw it dive, pull up, and fly off. I live close to School in the Woods, so post if you see a Northern Goshawk (or any other cool bird) nearby.
-Blaise


P.S. All birds (and all other organisms)
are cool.

Anonymous said...

Jenna S. said... (#17)

I remember my naturalist that I researched! He was Charles Henry Turner. I am really sorry that I have not gotten to blog much, but I have had so much homework. Now that christmas break is here I can blog as much as I would like and stay in contact with the naturalists out at School in the Woods. I know how sad it is to leave S.I.T.W., so be prepared. I have seen the Juncos a lot more often at my feeders now that Winter has arrived. I have loaded up on seed for the starving birds. They watch me fill the feeders and come jetting towards them. I do not know if I mentioned this, but a couple months ago I traveled to the Cadamount Mountain Campus. While hiking there we stopped for lunch with all the other hikers that we were hiking with. I finished early and started to pick Kini-kinic berries. Soon, we started hiking again and I heard a soft "cook." I knew that grey jays (camp robbers) and Clark's nutcrackers lived up here and the call that I heard was from a grey jay. I looked up and saw a pair of two grey jays. I snatched my bag of kinni-kinnic berries and took some out. I held the berries in the palm of my hand and stood perfectly still. I watched as the grey jays flew to my hand, landed on it, ate the kinni-kinnic berry, and then flew off. I will remember this moment for my whole life. I have seen the whole families of blue jays. They now rely on my feeders at times when other food resources are really scarce. I give the scrub and blue jays peanuts whenever I can. I try to get the other jays around my house to do what those grey jays did. I have tried imitating the blue jay calls and I have been half way successful. Tip: Flickers like hulled peanuts not the ones in the shell. I learned this the hard way. I hope everyone will blog more. I do not know why Julia Shumway and everyone else hasn't blogged. I have encouraged Dillon Powell to blog but I have not seen any of his posts if he has. I have placed feeders in diferent areas to see where the birds like it best.

J Natural (Jenna Salvat) #17 From last year

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna Wow I wish I have had a Grey Jay in my hand! I am so happy you posted I was beginning to miss your comments! Well everyone Feliz Navida (Merry Christmas) , Merry Wnter Solstice ,Happy Hannukah or whatever you celebrate in other words HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
-Christine #24 Golden eagle class

Anonymous said...

The naturalist who inspired me was Eugenie Clark. She inspired me because she would never give up even after something terrible happened. She fought for coral reefs because they were getting drilled in for oil. The naturalist I want to become is a naturalist that stands out for nature to preserve it. If there was a naturalist biography about me some interesting events would be about the time I went to School in the Woods.
Alec Lenz #14

Anonymous said...

The naturalist I studied was John Muir.He inspired me because he loved to explore and I love to explore scary places. I also found out that he had a big family and i have a big family.I would like to be a naturalist just like him. I really enjoyed studying John Muir

Braidyn K. #12

Anonymous said...

julia......

I apologize for not blogging. I wish I had. Anyway, today, (12/28/11) I returned from an enjoyable stay in Estes Park. My family and I stayed in a cabin called Twin View.
One activity we did was ice skating. Not on a rink, but on a frozen pond. This brought back memories of SITW. I remember that day when we walked on the frozen surface of the beloved School in the Woods pond.
We also went sledding on an extremely steep hill. This as well brought back memories from SITW. I remember recesses where there was enough snow to sled on the hill.
Naturalist Adventures Await!


One of Mother Natures’ many children, Julia
P.S. Jenna : I miss you so much!

Anonymous said...

Julia,
It sounds like SO much fun to go to Estes Park! Wow iceskating on a frozen pond sounds awesome! That was fun on the day where we walked over the best pond that had ever exsisted on planet earth! Unfortunately here there has been no snow! Someone was all excited 15 year old and said that he had one in forth grade and last year! Only two snowdays in a 15 year old's life!!! I have not gone sledding since School In the woods!!!! That was a year ago!!!! At school one day that was barley a sprinkle of snow hitting the ground and kids thought they would be able to go sledding when they got home. I told my friends that they would rip the grasses roots out of the ground if they went sledding!!!! However my birthday is on Monday and I am going Ice Skating!!!!! Have a Great new year everyone!!!
-Christine Webb #24 Golden Eagle Class

Anonymous said...

Julia...

Happy Birthday Christine!!!! A happy new year as well! Are you enjoying life in Idaho? I miss you soooooo much.
-julia

Anonymous said...

Julia,
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Idaho is ok I get kinda sad when I think of friends like you that I left behind. I have made a couple friends, but I guess with more time I will find some more here in mountain home. It is very different in a small town. For example every time you go to Walmart you will see a few people you know. The houses here are small and very run-down we have one of the nicest homes in town if not the nicest. Here, many kids hardly have a place to sleep at night. One of my friends doesnt have a window in her room because she can't afford one. Many people here drink and smoke alot. Everyone at school is amazed that my parents have never drank achohol or smoked or even drank anything with caffine in it. I have always been so fortunate with my parents and our money. One girl at school had to go to the office and get the police because her mom had been drunk and had been beating her. Kids dont go to the office when they are sick because their parents dont have the money for gas to get them back home. Although I am not truly fond of Mountain home (Idaho) It really makes me count my blessings. But overall I am enjoying it here. I have the oppurtunity to be a better person and I relize that I cant think my life is so hard, because my life compared to these kids is a lucky and wonderful life. How are you Julia? What have you been up to? Are you still interested in insects? Have you guys had a lot of snow?
-christine

Anonymous said...

Christine,
Yes, I am still interested by terrestrial invertebrates. But since it is winter, few (or no) insects venture out because it is so cold. We have gotten a reasonable amount of snow here. I am saddened by the news of your neighborhood and school. It is a good thing that you and your family are staying away from the influence happening all around you. We all miss you !!!!!
-Julia

Anonymous said...

Jenna said...
Sorry, I now have not blogged in a while. I have seen many eastern cottontail rabbits in my neighborhood. I am wondering what all you other naturalists have been seeing as well. I hiked at Pulpit Rock a few days ago. It was hot that day, and I saw a lot of bird activity there. I did not see that much of other animal activity. I did not hike to the top due to my brother, who would not be able to go up with us. He had his hands full of concretions, and he needed both hands empty to climb to the top. I got snow-shoes over the holiday so we all went snowshoeing at Mt. Herman. As we hiked. I saw a ponderosa pine as big as grandma tree ( or was as big as grandma tree, due to the fact that her crown toppled over). This ponderosa had a bird box mounted on it, and had this summer's nest still in it. I miss grandma tree. I know that she will benefit the pond though. She will have cavity nesters move in to create their nest and incubate their eggs. She will allow new baby ponderosas to grow underneath her and they will benefit from grandma tree's nutrients that she still contains. An owl may move in and use grandma as a lookout for its prey. The pond will have richer and healthier soil as grandma tree decomposes. Grandma tree will return to the Earth in which she grew. Soon, maybe another ponderosa will grow to be as big as grandma tree in two-hundred years. This ponderosa may repeat the same cycle that grandma tree did. Maybe, through watching a young ponderosa grow you will have a deeper understanding of the natural world and the life of a ponderosa.

Jenna S. J-science

Anonymous said...

My naturalists name is Margaret Morse Nice. She inspired me by how much she liked to watch birds and all the reasons she studies them. My favorite part about reading about my naturalist was probably how many birds she banded. She banded about 715 adult song sparrows and about 315 baby song sparrows.
I hope to be a naturalist that enjoys nature and doesn't harm it.
If there were a naturalist biography written about me, the events that would be included are about how much my family and I like to camp and explore nature.
Raley B. #2

Anonymous said...

Mike #8

My naturalist was Aldo Leopold. I was inspired by my naturalist because he stood up for what he believed in and what meant something to him. He also worked very hard to protect nature. I hope to be a naturalist who people look up to and they want to be like me. I also hope I get to spend lots of time in nature. My favorite animals to study are birds. In my biography it would say, my house is right next to woods. Twice a year we go back there and pick up as much trash as we can. After that it would say, one of my favorite experiences in nature was school in the woods. It taught me how important nature was and how fascinating nature is. I am super happy that I picked Aldo Leopold as my naturalist

jwuerth said...

Thank you Naturalists for writing about the naturalists you have learned so much about. You have considered your thoughts carefully. We should all expect that each naturalist who hasn't commented will take this opportunity to write in a way that honors their person!

Anonymous said...

My inspirational naturalist is Margaret Morse Nice. I picked Margaret because I like birds and she fought for birds rights. Here is a little bit about her life. She was born in Amherst, Massachusetts. When she was thirteen her brother Harold died in a swimming accident. After that rough experience she realized that she had to be mentally tough. When she was eighteen she attended Mt. Holyoke College. After she graduated she got married to Leonard. Then she then entered Clark University and got her Masters in Psychology. She had four daughters that helped her with her biggest campaign yet. They helped her prove that the Mourning Dove hunting season started too early and the doves were not done nesting yet. This helped them save lots and lots of Mourning Doves from hunting. She also published four books and hundreds of journal entries. That was the life of Margaret Morse Nice.
By: Kit #52

Anonymous said...

The naturlist I got intrested in is Aldo Leopold.He overcame a tic the left side of his face.I hope I can be a naturlist who teaches people about the problems of the earth and tell them how to stop them.Aldo inspired me by doing just that!If I had a biography about me it would inclued how important it is to observe nature.Also it would inclued this educational expirence at School in the Woods!
Blake H.#9

Anonymous said...

The naturalist who inspired me was Henry David Thoreau. He was a writer, poet, and lots of other things. when he graduated from Harvard he accepted a job as a school teacher, but only after two weeks he got fired because he refused to beat his students. He also owned a cabin that was at Walden pond. He discovered new things that he did not know before. The things that he learned he wrote. He lived in his cabin for over two years. What he hoped for was having success in becoming a New York publisher. His best friend Ralph Waldo Emerson influence him in so many ways. THats my naturalist.

Lilia # 43

Anonymous said...

#39 Alex
Happy new years! I would love to read your comments but I want to share what I did over the brake. You know how we had a solstice party we had a few of them. Have you gone skiing lately? Because we went skiing with friends and we played outside, made a small wiki-up and played board games all night but soon our break ended .I hope you had fun! What did you do over brake?

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Chiura Obata.He was born on November 18,1885 on a Japanese island of Honshi.Also he was a very bad kid like throwing rock's at people.When he was an adult he got married to Haruko Kohoshi and had four children.Chiura Obata supported the Americans.Chiura Obata died on October 6.
Jordyn k. #11

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is Margaret Morse Nice. I chose her book because of how she loved to watch birds, and what they did and banding them.

What inspired me about Margaret Morse Nice was how much she knew about birds and how she made hunting season start later because Morning Dove's nesting season was not finished yet. Also, how she was brave enough to go out by herself and explore the natural world.

The natrualist I want to be would help end water pollution so underwater creatures will not die. And, help stopping people from destroying nature for buildings.

My biography would say how much I love to be outdoors enjoying nature.

Katie #16

Anonymous said...

Charles Eastman was a Native American ,or as some people say Indian anyway Charles grew up in Redfalls,Minnesota.He was named well,I don't know how to spell it well he didn't like it won a new name witch I also don't know how spell. In the Indian war the U.S. tried to take land from them so his tribe attacked but his family did not want to be punished so they fled to Canada deeply hunted by U.S. soldiers. Out in the wilderness Charles learned to hunt for his family, one day when returning from a hunting trip his father was sitting in his camp.
He told him he had been captured but not hung,he said he had adopted christanity ,learned english and changed his name to Paul.
He convinced Charles to go.
While he was in the city kids would make fun of him. He attended a multiple colleges and became a doctor.He married Elaine had 6 kids I think And tried to explain how humans were harming the earth


Alexander 28#

Anonymous said...

If my naturalist went to School in the Woods I think she would even have more knowledge about aquatic invertebrates. When my naturalist was old enough she went to Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. Before she went to Cornell she went to Wellsley college that was just for women, she though there were too many rules so she found a different college. While she was at Cornell she made a friend named Elizabeth Adams. Elizabeth Adams taught her a lot about Cornell even though she was ten years younger. When Ann was still in college one of her teachers in zoology named Cornelia Clapp helped her to learn a lot about zoology. When Ann graduated college she became an assistant teacher in the department of zoology and then shortly after she was promoted to instructor. I think Ann Morgan definitely would have been highly influenced if she would have gone there.

Anonymous said...

The previous post is by Nolan Hendrickson

Anonymous said...

Lilia #43

Hi, Jenna and Christine I'm a student from this year. I would LOVE to share my Christmas trip with you. Me and my family went to California for Christmas, but it was not as hot as I thought it would be. We went to California because my grandma lives there and half of my family. Trust me I have way more family members then 100. Some are in mexico too. We drove there and it took 17 hours, but one day we did 10 hours then the other day was 7 hours. When we finally got there we said hi to everyone then we ate dinner. Then the next day we went to the pear that was at Redondo beach with my 2 cousins. when we got to the pear we bought ice cream all 3 of us got the flavor of mint chocolate chip thats my second favorite flavor. Than we went to the gift shops my cousin Justine bought a ring holder. Then we walked back to my grandma's house. On Christmas I got a DSi game lots of cloths and drawling stuff. a few days after we came back to Colorado. I hope you LOVED hearing about my Christmas adventure. Please please please blog back to me. Remember my name is Lilia.

Anonymous said...

Just recently we have been studying our naturalist. My naturalist was Aldo Leopold. We have done so much. We have read books about them. We have done chataquas about them and now we are doing posters. Learning about my naturslist inspired me to watch nature more carefully. Studying naturalist has been the best part of the year so far. Allison P. #19

Anonymous said...

Wow I missed a lot of action on the blog! I am glad that you are all enjoying your chutaquas. happy new year everybody! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.
christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Lilia,
Sounds like a wonderful christmas adventure! I got an ipod touch for christmas! It is awesome!
write back,
christine
ps. I would have written more but I dont know what to talk about!

Anonymous said...

Hi, my naturalists name is Charles Alexander Eastman and I am going to tell you what my naturalist’s contribution is and what happened to him throughout his whole life. Charles was born in Redwood Falls, Minnesota February 1858 when he was about a month old his mother died. When he was 7 he received a new name Ohiyesa why you may be asking yourself is because he is a Native American Sue and that was there tradition. He went to several different colleges such as Beloit, Knox, and Dartmouth University School of Medicine. He got married to women named Elian Goodland they had 6 kids. When they were still married they made a school named School of the Woods sadly something happened while they were in the makings of School of the Woods, there daughter Irene died of the Spanish flu, Charles tried to keep focused of his job. As I was saying he had several different jobs, such as physician, traveling doctor and a regular doctor. Elian and Charles divorced 3 kids went with Elian and 2 kids went with Charles. Charles moved to Detroit Michigan and here he was building a home for himself and his two children. Sadly he died January 8, 1993 Detroit Michigan. Oh, I forgot his contribution. His contribution was that he was able to bring all the natural ways of the Indian to the white man world.
Jordan #51

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is John Powell. I chose him because I love rocks and minerals. I am somewhat like him. I like to wonder through the woods to find beautiful rocks. Mostly I chose him for his dream to be a teacher. He did become a teacher for a little bit. Before that, he lived in Wisconsin with his family. His father did not want him to be a teacher; he wanted him to be a minister. Therefore, he ran away and got a job as a teacher. Soon after, he came back. A few years later, he joined the union to serve. In combat, he was badly injured. He was shot in his right arm. The doctors said that they would have to cut it off. Therefore, he quit the union army and devoted his life to nature. His most important contribution was he helped the Swanson Indians get their land back. John Powell is a true naturalist.
By Emily 47

Anonymous said...

My natrulist is Ann Morgan she is a pond natrulist she always loved studying aquatic invertebrates .She went to Welessly college but there were to many rules there so she enrolled at Cornell university . There she pursued the study of aquatic invertebrates .Ann graduated there and found a job as a zoology teacher .Durring winter break a fire stuck through the zoology department she had to replace everything .I really relate to my natrulist because we bolth love pond studies. Amelia 32

Anonymous said...

My naturalists name is Eugenie Clark. Eugenie Clark loved the ocean and all that inhabits it. When she was little her dad went for a swim and never came back. After that her mom struggled to make a living at a newspaper/cigar stand. Then Eugenie Clark went to Hunter Collage, to study biology. At that time women were not biologists. Later, the war started and lots of chemicals were released into the ocean. Then many people were trying to kill pests with pesticides. Eugenie started to lower the use of pesticides so it wouldn’t drain into the sea. Later, she married three men and divorced all of them. Once she swam with whale sharks. When she did she grasped one of them and couldn’t let go but then she got farther and farther away from the boat, so she let go. Then she married a man and stayed with him her rest of her life. She continued to travel and dive all over the world.
Andrew #22

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Margaret Morse Nice. The thing that inspired me about her was when her brother, Harold, died in a swimming accident. This is somewhat similar as to when her daughter, Eleanor, died of pneumonia. Why it inspired me is because those tragic losses would crush me, but she pulled herself up and kept on being a naturalist. I hope to be a bird watcher if I were a naturalist. If someone were to write a naturalist, I would let them say whatever they wanted as long as there was a chapter on SiTW!
Mac

Anonymous said...

Do you see a poppy as a common flower today? Well, back then, it was rare, and common today because of Alice Eastwood’s discoveries.
Alice inspired me to study more plants in nature, and get to know the names. If there was a biography written about me, it would tell about my care of rabbits in the natural world. In the future, I would like to plant my own vegetable garden. I would start with carrots, lettuce, and cilantro.
zoe,#34

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was John Muir. He had a very rough child hood. For instance he had to work when he had the mumps. And when he was older he was stabbed in the eye with a file. The most important thing he did was discover Yosemite National Park.

Dylan #7

Anonymous said...

Max
Blog
January 6th, 2012
The naturalist I came to know over much research was Eugenie Clark. What intrigued me about Eugenie Clark was her love for aquatic life forms, as most people know; fish. I have an enormous passion for aquatic life forms and that is why I wanted to research Eugenie Clark.
I hope that I am a naturalist that is perky, curious, intrigued by many things and I hope to find many patterns and perhaps new species in nature.
The interesting events of my life would include, observations I had about the natural world and the life that lives within it. I would also hope that there would be documentation of the animals I have cared for and bonded with in my lifetime. I also hope that I would be known for my great opportunity of attending School in The Woods.

Anonymous said...

Over the past couple weeks I have been reasearching all about Alice Eastwood. She is very interesting and she is a famous botanist. Alice has gone on many adventures and one of her favorites was Pikes Peak. She got to hike all the way to the top. When Alice was young she also had some adventures, like exploring her uncle's lush garden. It was full of butterflies, insects,flowers, birds, and many specimens. When she was older she went to highschool and then moved to California to study more flowers. In California she got a job as the joint curator at he California Academy of Sciences. There sheloved going to work every morning, but then there was an earthquake and the academy burnt down from a fire. A close friend and Alice tried to save most of the plants but couldn't save them all. Alice grew older and became history so she got many plants named after her and a building named after her. Since she was very important, she got to sit in Carl Limneous desk which he wrote a book about flowers in. Alice Eastwood was very dedicated to flowers and I wish that everyone would be like that to nature.

Olivia Peluso# 45

Anonymous said...

I really like learning about Aldo Leopold.I like how adventurious he is.He liked all nature except vultures.He was also good at throwing rocks!
Jack Zeman #26

Anonymous said...

The naturalist who inspired me was Eugenie Clark. She inspired me because she loved fish. She helped stop people from drilling into coral reefs for oil. Another thing I liked learning about was when she trained a female and male lemon shark. She trained these two sharks to nudge a target for food. I liked it because at that time people thought sharks were dumb, and she proved them wrong. I hope to be a naturalist who would discover new species. If someone wrote a biography about me I hope they would tell all the living things I discovered. I also hope they tell about what I did to help the planet. I really enjoyed learning about Genie and hope to learn more.
Grace #17

Anonymous said...

We have been studying a famous naturalists over the passed couple weeks. The naturalist I studied was Alice Eastwood. I think she was very interesting. Her life
was tough, not having her mother there. Sadly her mother died when Alice was six
years old. She was also far from her father, her sister Kate, and her brother Sidney.
She graduated high school and became a teacher. A year later she quite teaching and wanted to be a botanist. She loved to study plants and discover new types. She has discovered thousands of plants like a fire plant that grows when a forest fire happens.
Unfortunately an earthquake hit and thousands of her plants were destroyer, but thousands survived. She tried to get them back but some were very rare and hard to find. A couple of years later, they finished the new academy so she could put her plants in a safe place. When she was looking for some new plants a car hit her and injured her knee. She would need some one to go with her to look for plants. After a few years, she got sick and had to stay inside for a week. While she was getting better she watched out the window as BIG bulldozers built up a new city. Soon she healed and began searching for plants again!! That is why I think Alice East wood is very interesting!

AllisonBlackler# 27

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Ann Morgan, a pond watcher. Her favorite pond invertebrate was mayfly and because of that she got the nickname mayfly Morgan. She was the head of the zoology department. Since she worked in a college she lived in a dormitory until she was 55 years old. The place where she worked burnt down and her life time of study’s were in their too. Ann received a PH.D from Cornell University. She will be remembered for her teaching and influence on people.
Wyatt #10

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Margaret Morse Nice. I chose Margaret because she was intrested in birds and I enjoy them too. If I were to become a naturalist as she was, I would like to be one tha studies many different types of animals. In some case if I ever go a book written about me I would like it to tell about the things I studied and why I was intrested in them. Mrgaret was a wonderful person to study and i really liked doing my presentation.
Sydney #21

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is John James Audubon and I chose him because I like birds to and he is kind of inspiring. If I wanted someone to write a biography about me I’d want them to put some of my adventure’s like one of the places I went to and did something cool and fun. Or a person that inspired me or made my life better. But most importantly I’d like them to write something good about me.
By Chace 33

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Enos Mills. He helped share the joy of the Rockies and was friends with John Muir . He lived in Colorado, Montana, and California. His best friend was a blue bird. If a biography was written about me, I would want them to mention School in the Woods and how it changed my life.

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is Chiura Obata and I chose him for his passion for art. He was born on the island Honshu in Japan. His older brother, Rokuichi and his wife Kichiko adopted him when he was five. That year he learned so much about art he decided that was what he wanted to do in life. When Chiura was young his real name was zoroku but his master gave him a new name. When he was nineteen his career took off when he ranaway to Tokyo. There he met a great artist and begged him to be his master. After so much begging he finally said yes. One day he met a lady named Haruko and married her and they had lots of children. That suhher he got a job as an art teacher. He did so well he got a job as a full time art teacher. His students thought he didn’t deserve the job because he didn’t even have a high school diploma. But, he thought them so much about art they regretted the day they ever said that. That is why I chose the great Chuira Obata.
By Morgan 40

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Eugenie Clark. She studied fish in many different parts of the world. Her dad died somehow swimming the ocean. This was hard for the Clark family tree. Most of her discoveries were alluring and helpful. She was like me because she loved the ocean and all the life in it. The Clark family loved the ocean and swimming. She came to be an iconologist. Today she is still alive and healthy.

Anonymous said...

I choose Aldo Leopold for my naturalist because he is brave and attracted nature, like me. One of my favorite parts is when he met a brown bear and froze and waited ‘till the bear left. I also liked when his dad met John Muir at a meeting with President Theodor Roosevelt. My most favorite part is when Aldo was going a supervisor. He also was going to stop grazing. He also stopped forest fires. Thank you for letting me tell you about Aldo Leopold.
By Emilio 48

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is Chiura Obata. I picked Chiura Obata because he loved art like I do, and he had a lot of good experience in the natural world. He lived in Japan for 17 years than moved to America. He was an art teacher at the University of California but moved to a detention area when the war was going on between the U.S and Japan. After the war ended he went to Yosemite for a couple days so he could paint and draw the flowers .that is a couple facts about my naturalist Chiura Obata.

Andrew#46

Anonymous said...

If somebody were to write a biography about me, I would want them to mention some things. First off, I would want them to mention at least a chapter about how much School in the Woods made an impact on my life. Another thing is I dearly think that the should include that I have participated in many charity and nature events. Now I just want to mention that one thing SITW did to me was inspire me to love, actually not love but to think more carefully about the natural world, also I believe that every single kid should get the experience to go to a school which they dont only care about school work but also to care so much about nature. I just deeply love how almost the whole school day we get to think about nature. It is just extremly amzazing how we get to eat outside and learn outside. At other schools you cant even pick up snow or touch it, but at SITW you get to sled on it, make snowballs and snowforts, you even get to have the time to pick it up, study it and realize that it isnt just slush, it is the worlds creation. Now these words arent me just saying these things but they are me expressing my feelings, I am not writing these words to impress the teachers, I am writing these words to show what I feel. Maybe not every school is as magnificent as mine is but every school should try to expose there kids to nature. at my old school the teachers never said a single word about how important the world is and that is why I am posting this blog for anybody to see and I want so many people to read it. Thank you for letting me share tis inspiring thought, see ya soon!

OLIVIA PELUSO # 45

Anonymous said...

Kylee #29 my blog about me and my naturalists

If I had a biography wrote about me I would….Like to have the book say things like the jobs I held, the imported events, and my childhood. And the most important part of my life. Also my personal stuff and that SITW made a big impact on my life!

Anonymous said...

Joey #6

My naturalist was Aldo Leopold and he really inspired me. He inspired me by finding ways to protect animals. I also liked how he loved to explore the wilderness. I love exploring the wildness too; it makes me feel good when the wind blows and I am out looking for signs of animals. Aldo and I have a lot in common we both love to go on nature walks and “Learn from the Land”. Also we like sports. He played baseball, golf, and track and I participated in track in second and third and fourth grade. Recently, our class has been working on a naturalist New Year’s resolution. Some of my resolutions are to be more organized and keep up on my assignments so I don’t fall behind in class. I want to go on more nature walks with my family just like Aldo.

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is John Wesley Powell. He impressed me because he fought for the rights of the slaves in the Civil War. Like John Wesley Powell, I would like to explore the Grand Canyon. I would like to be an earth scientist and study rocks and fossils. I can find out more about the past and teach people about it. If there was a naturalist biography about me, it would include that I was glad I was at School in the Woods to stretch my knowledge.
Nick #37

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is Aldo Leopold. He studies all living things. When people set traps to kill animals for fun he is angry. He thinks you should only hunt for what you need. he loves nature above all things. He even died to save it in a fire. He shall be remembered to young and old naturalists world wide. I hope you soon learn about Aldo Leopold just like i did.

- Aiden 41

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how much older students of school in the woods are talking. Why don't we start talking more on this blog too. I'm sure they'd be glad to see what we said. If not thats ok. I also run a newspaper at School in the Woods called the School in the Woods Gazette

-Aiden 41 (unknown class)

P.S i had a good trip to denver today.

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Eugenie Clark. She studied fish in many different parts of the world. Her dad died somehow swimming the ocean. This was hard for the Clark family tree. Most of her discoveries were alluring and helpful. She was like me because she loved the ocean and all the life in it. The Clark family loved the ocean and swimming. She came to be an iconologist. Today she is still alive and healthy.
Olivia #50

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Enos Mills. He helped share the joy of the Rockies and was friends with John Muir . He lived in Colorado, Montana, and California. His best friend was a blue bird. If a biography was written about me, I would want them to mention School in the Woods and how it changed my life.

Zach #49

Anonymous said...

My naturalist was Alice Eastwood and she really inspired me. She inspired me by teaching me all about the flowers, weeds, and trees. Alice taught me how to respect all plants even weeds. While I was reading the book I thought of something, what is a weed? A weed is a plant. I had a great time learning about Alice Eastwood and about her flower watching.
Campbell #5

Anonymous said...

At school we have a project to learn about a famous naturalist. I picked Chiura Obata because he loved art and nature like me. Chiura Obata was born on November 18, 1885 in Japan. He was adopted by his brother. He studied art under his sensei in Japan, then later moved to California where he drew a lot of nature art of Yosemite National Park. But since he was Japanese in America, he got sent to an internment camp. There he was treated badly, but he finally decided to sign the oath to become an American citizen. Chiura Obata lived a happy live and I had fun learning about him.

Elina #13

Anonymous said...

My naturalist is Eugenie Clark. It was really fun learning about her marine biology. Since she was from Japan, she was teased a lot in a mean way. She was teased in terms of different food, different clothes, different traditions, and so on. When she was director of Cape Haze marine laboratory, it was neat how she swam with lemon sharks and other fish.
Jefferson #3

Anonymous said...

Ashten from 2010,2011 says, I still want to be Henry David Thoreau. I think it must be awesome to live in the woods by yourself for 2 years!

Anonymous said...

Hi
-christine

Anonymous said...

Please write.
-christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,

Thanks for writing back. WOW I can't believe that you got an ipod touch. That is so cool. I got one for my birthday that was on Jan 18, 2012. I hope you're having fun with it. at SITW were going on a field trip to the capitol of Denver on this thursday good bye I got to go.
Lilia #43

Anonymous said...

Wow The capital of Denver No Fair we never got to do that!!!! My birthday was on january 2. I got $100.00s and a $30.00 gift card to Claires.
-christine

Anonymous said...

WRITE
-CHRISTINE

Birdman said...

When I did my naturalist project I had Mr. John James Audubon and he reflected me for we both had a love of birds. I wish that I could have made such discoveries as he. I may be going to Colorado Springs School for a choice application where I can get a free education. I liked the school and they took little trips and studied natures just like SITW!
Birdman
Golden Eagle Class of 2010-2011

Anonymous said...

My goodness you people have not written for a while so WRITE
-christine
P.S. Please?

Anonymous said...

Today is a snowday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to go out and explore; it's like a whole new world out there! Birdman

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Wuerth! How about a new post? Is anything special happening? TCAP/CSAP in less than two weeks at my school.I saw the coolest raven at my friend's house.
Elise
Golden Eagle Class

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Elise!!
-christine

Post a Comment