
What interesting discoveries we made catching and observing aquatic invertebrates. We would like to hear from all naturalists about their thoughts and feelings regarding our outdoor pond activities. Each naturalist should respond to this post with a well-written paragraph describing the time spent with aquatic invertebrates. Make sure to start with a topic sentence, include several detail sentences, and end with a meaningful concluding sentence. Type it first on a Word document so spelling and grammar are correct. Then, copy and paste it in the comment box below the post. Make sure to include your first name and # so we know who you are. Select "anonymous" from the "Comment as:" drop down menu. Have fun being creative with your writing!



59 comments:
Our school went to the pond today. We learned what a pH device is. We also went to catch aquatic invertebrates in the SITW pond. My partner and I caught a few different types. Some of the ones we caught were a mayfly nymph and a snail. When we got to the school we put many of the aquatic invertebrates in a fish tank. I had a wonderful time at the SITW pond, and I learned many different things.
Written by Sydney
Jordan 51
The day we went to the pond to look for aquatic invertebrates, Ellie was my partner.
We caught five backswimmers. Backswimmers have skinny long legs. When they try to camouflage themselves, they flip over on their backs and it looks like the sun is reflecting off of the pond water. We also caught six or seven snails in their black shells. They have short black antennae, not very attractive. They usually sit by the cattail stems in the water. Then we found two riffles beetles. They swim very fast! They have long legs like the backswimmers, but are black and brown in color. We discovered three mosquito larvae. They look like clear tubes but with light brown dots on them, and they move up and down in the water. Lastly, we found two mayfly nymphs. They were the funniest of all because they swiveled their hips when they moved through the water. Their gills also stick out.
It was fascinating to see and catch real live organisms in the pond. I have never experienced that before. It is amazing how different they each are.
Wow Jordan and Sydney!
Your writing was interesting to read. The nature knowledge you possess comes out in your descriptive words. Thanks for motivating other School in the Woods naturalists. I can't wait to read all the other comments! Think about how much we learn.
HERE COMES OUR FIRST SNOWSTORM!
Mr. Wuerth
Olivia 50
Olivia 50
Yesterday we got to go to the pond to catch organisms. It was interesting to see all the black backswimmers flap what appears to be there a hind leg flapping to make them go. It was also interesting to see the dragonfly nymph come out of a very hollow cattail piece and swim extremely fast. The snails however were slow and very easy to catch. Most of the organisms were black or very dark brown. It was very fascinating to see the leach move. We did not catch it though. The riffles beetles are medium speed and have shiny body. I truly thought that a pond would not have as much life in it but it surly had a lot.
Campbell #5
Monday afternoon we went to the pond to find some organisms. When we got there we unpacked are clipboards our pencils. Mr. Wuerth said, “ The lows are going to the pond first and the highs are staying with me.” I was a low so I got to go to the pond first. I grabbed my partner and got the nets and the bucket and found a spot to sit. I grabbed my net and said, “Now let`s go to the pond.” We got all the stuff and went to the pond. I found a beetle. But then I figured that maybe the beetle was not supposed to live in the water. So we let him go. Then we could not find any more so we asked Chandler to help us. Chandler even got us four back swimmers. After that Mr. Wuerth told us to come in and we did. Mr. Wuerth told us we had to switch groups. I packed my stuff up and went to where Mr. Wuerth was standing. He told us to take notes so I did. After we took notes he told us to open the boxes. Inside the boxes were two tubes, a color wheel and other items. We had to read the instructions and do what they said. After that we had to pack up and pack the wagons and head back to the school. Today at the pond I had lots of fun learning about the organisms.
One day at School in the Woods we went to the pound to catch aquatic invertebrates. My partner was Alec. We caught many different aquatic invertebrates. It was interesting to observe them. Each one moved in a different kind of way. Like the dragonfly nymph witch pushes water out of it’s behind to move. We also caught lots of snails, they were black an gray all over and stuck to my isolating tray. I could not hold any of the aquatic invertebrates except the snails because they would dry out and die. We also caught many riffle beetles. To me they looked dark red. They had about six spiky thin legs. I mostly found the aquatic invertebrates in the mud or by the cat tails. This was the first time I’ve ever done this. Today was fun and I learned a lot. By Morgan 40
Britta #23
The other day fifty two students went to the pond. First, the highs did pH testing while the lows caught aquatic invertebrates in our SITW pond. We got 7.0 in our pH testing. After about 20 minutes we switched. My partner Zach and I caught a fingernail clam. The clam was white with brown and golden stripes. We also caught two mayfly nymphs, two scuds, and a miniature riffles beetle. Everyone enjoyed going to the SITW pond. Thank you, Mr. Wuerth and Mrs. Esposito.
Amelia #32 For a few weeks we have been studying aquatic invertebrates in our pond. When we took a brief hike out to the pond, Joey and I unpacked our stuff with our ice cube tray, big net, small net, a bucket, a classification chart and our clipboards .Soon, we were off to the pond collecting water samples and organisms. Soon I yelled out to Joey, “Look what I found, a Mayfly-nymph!” It was black and did not stand out in the dirt, but when we got it into the ice cube tray it really did stand out. Later, Joey caught two extremely large snails. We were stunned on how many Aquatic invertebrates we caught. Then we both found a really interesting water spider that kept on trying to make its way out of the bucket. Today was a very interesting and a fun day.
October 25, 2011
On Monday we went to the pond to catch aquatic invertebrates.
Allison and I were parteners. We caught a couple of backswimmers. They have a white stripe on their back. Backswimmers are very skittish. We also caught two snails. the snails stuck to the isolating tray and didn't want to leave. Allison and I also caught some spider like aquatic invertebates. They were very hairy and didn't move much. We learned how to take a pH water test. Mrs. Sanger also caught us a leech. Allison and I worked hard to catch and identify aquatic invertebrates.
At the pond I learned a lot and loved catching aquatic invertebrates.I hope to go back to the pond and learn as much as I did on Monday.
wrote by: olivia p. #45
All you naturalists are writing great comments. Make sure to read your fellow naturalists' words.
Mr. Wuerth
One of the best experiences I have had at School in the Woods is when we got to catch aquatic invertebrates in our pond. Catching and observing the aquatic invertebrates was extremely fun because we got to catch the aquatic invertebrates with a pond net. Then we would put the aquatic invertebrates in a tub. We got an isolating tray to isolate the different specimens we caught. We also got a turkey baster to suck up the specimens and place them in the isolating tray. If they didn’t fit in the turkey baster, we had a little net to scoop them up. One day Morgan, my partner, and I caught a caddis fly nymph, ten snails, a dragon fly nymph, and four back swimmers. The caddis fly nymph was interesting because it used sediment to glue itself inside of a bull rush to protect itself from predators. When it comes out of the bull rush it looks like a worm because it’s so skinny. The dragon fly nymph is weird because it squirts water out of its behind to swims and moves fast through the water. The riffles beetle has a strange way to camouflage itself. When a predator is approaching it flips over on its back so it looks like the sun reflecting on a rock. We caught two snails that had white shells and the others were black. I had a great time catching and observing aquatic invertebrates in the pond.
Written by,
Alec Lenz 14
Jake #42
One evening at School in the Woods my partner and I went to the SITW pond. Our tools we used were an isolate, pond nets, tiny nets and suction devices. We had trouble catching first but we asked help we had a great day of catching aquatic invertebrates! I caught 4 Dragonfly Nymphs. There were a lot of snails in that pond. My partner cought 4 Mayfly Nymphs and they were very hairy. Damselfly Nymphs are hard to catch in my apinion but I cought one. We also cought 3 Scuds and they are hard to look for when you are searching in your net. One of are Dragonfly Nymphs was 2 inches! There was only one Backswimmer and when I saw him in the net I thought is was something else because it was a compltely a diffrent color so now I know why they are called Backswimmers. Now you know what I did at the pond what did you do at the pond?
Yesterday we went out to the pond to catch aquatic invertebrates.I partnered up with Nolan. We got our tools and set out.The tools we used were a very long net, an isolating tray , a turkey baster and a very small net.First I got the net and scooped in the water a few times.We caught two snails in their hard shells. Also we caught three Dragonfly nymphs.Then we dumped them into a milk jug to bring them back to the classroom to study them.Something that fascinated me about the nymphs was the way they swim. They shot water out of their back end to slingshot them forward. That is so cool...I may have to use that in the swimming pool! Wow I love catching aquatic invertebrates in their natural habitat!
Written by:
Blake #9
The day at the pond was exiting because we were going to catch aquatic invertebrates. My partner was Andrew. R. We caught a large dragonfly nymph and it didn’t move much. We caught a water boatmen. It was moving really fast and it was hard putting it into the isolating tray. Next we identified an aquatic invertebrate that looks like a clear tube and it seems like you can see its organs. Last, we caught a mayfly nymph and it looks like its wiggling its “hips” .That’s what we caught at the pond.
Emilio #48
I love going to the pond. My partners and I caught 1-15 snails, 7 back swimmers, 1-3 boatmen, 1-5 riffles beetles, and 1-10 mayfly nymphs. Organisms are very interesting they all have different features. That’s 40 organisms each time! Ashlee #4
One day I went to the pond and caught aquatic invertebrates. Kit and I caught many organisms. We caught a riffle beetle. The riffle beetle looks like a spider. We also caught a backswimmer. The backswimmer swims on its back. When predators look up at it, it blends into the sky. When predators look down at it, it blends into the ground. Going to the pond is a great learning experience because we get to learn about aquatic invertebrates.
Jack Zeman 26
On Monday we hiked to our beautiful cattail-surrounded pond. First, Mr. Wuerth told us to find and pair up with our job partners. Mine happened to be Alli, which is who I was with the last time we did aquatic invertebrates. We got our bin, our small net, our suction device, our invertebrates chart, and our isolating tray (A.K.A. ice cube tray.) Then, we set out on a hunt for mayfly nymphs, riffles beetles, and other aquatic invertebrates. The first thing we caught was a mayfly nymph, but it got away somehow. We fished around for about 10 minutes and then, suddenly Alli called, “I caught a riffles beetle!” I sprinted over there, and sure enough, there in the middle of all the organic matter, sat a riffles beetle. It was black, and had what appeared to be slightly indented straight lines, going perfectly horizontally along its back. We plopped it into the bin (now filled with water straight from the pond) and examined it. Then, we showed Chandler and we asked him if we should put it in the isolating tray, but he said he could just take the whole bin. We fished around quite a bit more, but, unfortunately, we didn’t catch any more aquatic invertebrates.
It was time to switch groups, and so we jogged over to Mr. Wuerth. There, sat 26 pH testers. Mr. Wuerth explained how if the pH is 0, it will be too acidic for anything to live in it, but if the water was too base, which is 14, nothing could live in that, either. But then, we learned how we can only survive on water that was 7.0, because it was in the goldilocks zone. Mr. Wuerth explained what to do and what not to do with the chemicals. Then, we went up front to collect our pond water. Alli and I whizzed through filling up to the line on the test tube with pond water and adding 6 drops of the chemical because we had already been the environmental scientist, and they learn how to do it. I matched up the two pond water test tubes, and I got a 7.0! We each got a turn, so Alli did the exact things I did, and she also got 7.0. We had an extremely astounding time catching aquatic invertebrates and testing the pH of our pond’s water.
Written by Mac #1
Mike 8
Yesterday we went to the pond. First, we got our partner. Mine was Zoe. Then, we got our supplies and found a spot near the pond. I went down with the net, swished it around and went back to our spot. We found two back suimers. Their long legs helped them swim. Then, we found three snails. They had long antennas and moved very slow. My favorite organism was the leach. It looked like a worm and moved like a worm. Last, we caught a scud. The scud looked like a little white dot. It moved swiftly and very fast. The pond was amazing.
Andrew 46
For a couple of days my class and I went to the sitw pond to examine the organisms that lived in the pond. Our teacher Mr.Wuerth told us what we were using like the nets, ice tray and buckets. Brayden and I went to a shady spot to set up. I filled up our bucket while Brayden caught organisms in our net. We caught a couple of dragonfly nymphs, snails, damselfly nymphs, and one leech. School in the Woods is an amazing place especially when you have great teachers that know all about the natural world.
October 27, 2011
On Monday, the 24th of October, we went to the pond to capture aquatic invertebrates, and bring them back to school. My partner was Kiley. The three aquatic invertebrates we caught were a scud, a leech, and a water-boatman. A scud is completely green, and if you look at it from a microscope they will look a little-bit like a shrimp. We also caught a leech; it was long and reddish pink. If the leech folded back, it would look life it was short and fat. Finally, we caught a water-boatman. It looked like an airplane when its fins went back and forth. It is short and black; it also is fat and looks like a beetle. This was a very exiting day.
Jefferson Dirks #3
What amazing writers all you naturalists are. Keep pushing your creative writing skills!
Mr. Wuerth
Jenna S. said...
I am a naturalist alumni from the Golden Eagle class. I totally remember going to the pond to catch aquatic invertebrates and testing p.h. levels. I still can`t believe that no one at Rockrimmon really knows what a terrestrial or aquatic invetebrate is. The dark eyed juncos and blue jays have started to feed from my feeders again. We had to write about who we were thankful for and I chose you Mr. Wuerth. I still remember all the wonderful times at School in the Woods and now where I am is totally different. No one really cares if you know about nature or not. They care for video games, television shows, and clothing and these hair feathers in which I really think is hilarious because hair feathers seem ridiculous to me. T.A.G. is no fun at all here. Book reports piled on tons of homework and no time to refill feeders or get new seed. I loath school now. I wish I was at School in the Woods where mother nature welcomed you in and greeted you with a breeze or slight rain which was a glimmer of nature`s ability. I was free of worry at SITW. Now, I am surrounded by it. Please give me ideas Mr. Wuerth.
New naturalists, a lot of surprises await you.
JNatural ... Jenna S. #17
Jenna, thank you for sharing your memories and feelings with all of us. We all need to look for bright spots in our lives. Talk with your teachers and share your feelings them. See what suggestions they have. "Go to nature to be soothed and healed and have your senses put in tune once more." - John Burroughs. Remember how Hollis felt and how things turned around for him and the others in Wayburn Woods? Stay in touch.
Mr. Wuerth
Today at the pond we caught organisms. The first thing that Grace and I caught was a back swimmer . The back swimmer had little brown legs and a black body. As we put him in the water he dived right to the bottom of our tub. In a snug place in between the cattails we caught a dragonfly nymph. He was huge! He was kind of gray and brown.
We caught so many snails I could not count them all. After catching all those great organisms in that great pond we had to do ph testing on the pond water. We got two samples of water then we added some chemical acid. When we added the acid the water turned green. We swirled it around and matched it to the closest color on the color wheel. It was a terrific day for catching organisms and testing!!!
Lilia #43
The day we went to the SITW pond was a really great day and I learned a lot. The highs went to the HP water testing and the lows went to the pond to catch aquatic vertebrates. While at the pond, I caught a dragon fly nymph, riffles beetle and some snails. We went to the HP testing and took readings. We got to use a lot of cool tools and learned about clean and dirty water. I love SITW because I get to do stuff like this and learn more than at a regular school.
Allison-27
Katie #16
Last week we went to the SITW pond to search for invertebrates. My partner and I got a net then set out to the catch invertebrates. I scooped up a pile of dirt. I look in and saw something moving. So I ran back to Jake my partner and said I saw something move. Before a blink of an eye, we were quickly searching through the muddy net. In the muddy net Jake and I saw two mayfly nymphs. He said to go get more so I did and came back with two more. Then we isolated them by using a suction device, a small net, a big net and an isolating tray and a tub. I found out that a mayfly nymph is very hairy. I had lots of fun and learned a lot at the SITW pond.
This week we went to the pond. We got to catch organisms. We used nets, tubs, suction devices, and small nets. First, we got to fill up the tub with just pond water. The net is used to catch the organisms. My favorite one was the snail. It was black with grey stripes. I found about three air-breathing snails in the net. Another organism that I liked was the backswimmer. It was tan, and had long skinny legs, and swam on it’s back. I think the trip to the pond was fascinating! Zoe 34
Like other naturalists, I also love the pond. On our first assignment, Mr. Wuerth told us to get with our job partner. My partner is Sydney. Sydney and I caught a ripples beetle, two back swimmers, three snails, a large number of scuds, water fleas, and a dragonfly nymph. The dragonfly nymph was too big for the ice tray so we let Jessie store it in the aquarium. I would describe the organism to be much larger than the others. Before we gave it away, we sketched it which was difficult because we could not get it into the ice tray. We also tested the pH level in the pond water. The acidic level was neutral. I love to catch and to identify living organisms and to test the pH level. I hope we go back to the pond soon.
Emily - 47
Braidyn K. #12
Today Taylor and I went to the pond and looked for aquatic invertebrates. We caught a dragonfly nymph, a snail and a backswimmer. I learned that snails like to stay under their shell for protection. Did you know that dragonfly nymphs are so big? I also learned that a backswimmer always swims on its back. Finally, we had to release the aquatic invertebrates into the pond. I had fun catching aquatic invertebrates.
One we went to the pond to catch aquatic invertebrates. An aquatic invertebrate is an insect-like creature that lives in water. Once we went to the pond, we learned how to catch aquatic invertebrates in nets. To catch them, we swept along the bottom of the pond and along the cattails. After that, we put them in an isolation tray. The isolation tray is to hold the insects in an enclosed space so we could study them. Then, we had a sheet that showed their names. Some of the names were phantom midge, mayfly nymph, dragonfly nymph, and mosquito larvae. I now know the difference between phantom midges and mosquito larvae. Now when I catch organisms, I know what I’ve caught.
Nick 37
Nolan #35
A few days ago my class went to the pond to catch and study aquatic invertebrates and test the pH of the water. When we got to the pond we were split into two groups. One group started testing the water pH and the other group walked over to the pond to identify and isolate the aquatic invertebrates. Blake and I started catching invertebrates. We caught about five dragonfly nymphs, four snails, and a water boatman. Then it was time to test the pH of the pond water I found out the pond pond pH is 7.0 witch means the pond water is very healthy. Then we went back to the school and put all the invertebrates in a huge aquarium to observe. Catching the invertebrates was a great experience!
I LOVE the pond it sonds like you naturalists really love the pond too. I hope you guys are having fun! The pond is a very speacil place to connect with nature. Let me know if you catch a frog!!!!
-christine #24 from the golden eagle class.
The day we went to explore the pond Jack was my awesome partner! Jack and I caught a gigantic mosquito larva. It had three feathery tips on its tail. Then we caught a tiny snail. Then we noticed another and another and we ended up with 4 snails. After that I noticed we had cattail seeds in our tub and I couldn’t see anything. After I cleared off the surface I could see a backswimmer. It had a white belly. But before I could put it in the isolating tray with the suction device it was time to go. Overall I know that our pond is full of life.
Kit #52
A few days ago my class and I went to the pond. At the pond we caught aquatic invertebrates and tested the pH in the pond. My partner and I caught many different organisms. One of my favorites was the dragonfly nymph. I liked its body shape and the color. We also caught a damselfly nymph. It uses its hips to swim. They are also very fast! A couple other organisms we caught were fresh water clams, snails, scuds, and mayfly nymph. Our pH of our pond was 7.0. That is good because that is neutral. To test this we had to use a kit that had the supplies. My partner and I had a great time at the pond!
By Grace #17
I loved going to the SITW pond. It was a beautiful fall day for observing aquatic invertebrates. My partner and I caught four back swimmers , 2 snails, and a mayfly nymph . We also caught a few fresh water shrimp . The fresh water shrimp is white in color and has a curly tail. I learned a lot of interesting facts and I hope I learn more.
Written by Joey #6
Raley #2
A couple of days ago my partner Alexander and I went to the SITW pond. At the SITW pond we caught aquatic invertebrates. We caught about five snails and I thought they were all slimy. Then we caught a backswimmer. It was so cool because on the front side it was white and on the back side it was a brownish blackish color. We also caught a mayfly nymph and as we brought it back, we looked over and somebody had caught a leech! Another invertebrate that we caught was an unknown type of beetle. We tried and we tried to figure out what it was, but we never figured it out. We called Chandler over to see the aquatic invertebrates that we caught. Chandler thought they were really cool. We tried to get Jessie over, but she was too busy. My day at the pond was truly a fun-packed adventure.
Elina #13
On Monday we went to the pond to catch aquatic invertebrates. My partner and I walked to a tree in the shade and went to catch some invertebrates. I jumped up and sprang to the pond. I filled my tub and took the net. I swirled the net around in the water and took a look. I didn’t see much, but when I put the water in the tray I found mayfly nymphs and backswimmers, snails and scuds. Mr. Wuerth called us in to test the pH of the water. We learned how to do a pH test, and found that the water was 7.0 pH, which is the neutral zone. Going to the pond was a blast.
Today at School in the Woods we went to the pond, Jordan was my partner. We caught aquatic invertebrates. There are many back swimmers in our pond. On the front side they are white with three black spots on their back side they are brown with two little legs. Snails are very common too. They have black shells and a retractable little grayish body that goes in and out of the shell. Our class learned that our pond is a class one pond. A class one pond is a pond that has no pollution or litter the aquatic invertebrates are so sensitive and if there is any pollution or litter they will die right off of the bat. School in the Woods is such an amazing place, we learned about pH testing, our class type and what some of the invertebrates are, all in one day.
Ellie #25
Today we are going to the pond to catch terrestrial invertebrates. My partner was Olivia. We caught a baby dragonfly nymph, two back swimmers, one water boatman, and one Riffles beetle. I like the dragonfly nymph the best because it shoots water out of its behind to swim. The next thing we did was Ph tests. I know our ponds Ph is 7.5 We tested the Ph by grabbing pond water and adding a chemical to the water. Then we spun the color dial on the other tube to get the same color as the chemical tube. That gave us our Ph reading. My favorite part of our trip to the pond was catching terrestrial invertebrates.
Tyler #31
One day we went to the pond. Campbell was my partner. We filled our buckets with water. When we caught something we transfer the organism from the bucket to an isolating tray. We caught two beetles,three snails,and four backswimmers. It was one of my favorite days ever. I had a great day at the pond learning about aquatic invertebrates.
Wyatt H 10
For the last month we have been visiting the pond. The risen we were going was to catch acidic invertebrates. Our supply we used was a tub, isolating tray, a big net, a little net, trickery bester. First, I went to the bank of the pond and filled the tub up with clean water. Then I dropped it off at my study spot and got my net and went to catch invertebrates. Me and my prater Ben caught many different kinds of aquatic invertebrates. Some of the invertebrates we caught were red stretchy leeches, back swimmers, water boatman, rifle beetles and snails. My favorite invertebrate I caught was the dragonfly nymph because it was the biggest predator and it turned into a dragonfly. The best spots were at the bottom of the cattails and bulrush. Most of the invertebrates stayed in the sand so you couldn’t see them swimming around, so when you wanted to catch inverbrates like the dragonfly nymphs you had to dig into the sand and get the organic matter.
At the pond my partner and I caught a leech, backwater swimmer, riffles beetle and an air breathing snail. We took shifts to catch invertebrates and to identify them. Our leech was so fast, it swam side to side. The pond in inspiring.
Aiden 41
My blog Alexander 28
Today we went to the SITW pond and caught aquatic invertebrates. Mr. Wuerth
Thought it would fun to to catch them. Raley and I caught snails, backswimmers,
and others. Then the senior helpers put them in the aquarium. The water beetles come to the sides as if they wanted to be seen. Best day ever!
Zach 49
Catching aquatic invertebrates is one of the best naturalist projects I’ve ever done. My partner and I found out that the School in the Woods pond is very healthy. We have seen a lot of first class invertebrates. Studying is hard but after the first day it gets simple. Swinging the net in the water makes me feel relaxed. Most invertebrates you can’t see because they are microscopic. The school has an indoor pond witch is a fish tank with riffles beetles, snails, dragonfly nymphs, water boatmen, leaches, and a lot more. The School in the Woods pond is a great place to learn about nature.
Aquatic invertebrates Kylee #29
At the pond we caught aquatics invertebrates. At the pond we caught so many invertebrates. I caught a leach to put in the invertebrates tank. Also the class put backswimmers in there and scuds . Also many different things. I thought it was fun going to the pond and getting invertebrates! Because we used many different tools like… 1 big net,1 small net plus a turkey baster, and isolating tray .
At the pond, Emilio and I caught aquatic invertebrates. We spent a majority of our time outside at the pond. I thought the dragon fly nymphs were very interesting how they swim in the pond. At the pond you were very likely to catch a snail. The snails move a lot. I learned the aquatic invertebrates like far out in the pond, deep under and where it is dark. I love going to the pond it is a great place to be
Andrew #22
On the third day at the pond my partner and I caught very active snails. They were flailing around and sticking out feet at me. We also caught an unidentified black beetle, a mosquito larva, scuds, and a long leech. My partner had a big net and I had my bare hands. I would sift through the mud and look for invertebrates. Well, I hope you like my paragraph. By Madeline
Today my partner and me went to the pond and caught Aquatic Invertebrates. My partner and me caught a clam, and two riffles beetles. Last we caught a mosquito larva. We got to study them. Right know we have an aquarium in our meeting room. I love going to the pond.
Written by…….Jordyn #11
Over the month at School in the Woods we’ve been studying aquatic invertebrates at the pond. My partner Olivia and I caught many mayfly nymphs. Mayfly nymphs are in class one. Class one means that our pond is very healthy. Many mayfly nymphs are yellow and green mixed. When I was observing our mayfly nymphs swimming around Olivia came running over yelling leach leach. She dumped it in our bucket and we watched it get settled. The leach started to stick to the tray and we could not get it out! Now the same thing happened again Olivia screamed snail and rushed over with the net. We caught about 7 snails in all. The pond is the best thing yet at School in the Woods. Allison P. #19
About a week ago the school in the woods naturalists went to the pond to studie aqatic inverdiebrites and tests the PH. First my partner Chace and I went to catch aquatic inverdibrates.Imidiatly I caught
Two snails with my bare hands.We also caught a huge dragonfly nymph and some riffles beatles. The
PH level was 7.0.It was so fun when we went to the pond.
Dylan 7
When we went to the pond to catch organisms I caught 13 organisms. I caught five riffle beetles. The riffle beetles were black and round. They didn't crawl, they swam. I also caught two snails. They moved slow and they were black. I caught three dragonfly nymphs. They were big and they were brown. They would crawl at the bottom of the pond. I caught two little back swimmers. They had six legs, two of them were used for swimming. I had fun at the pond that day. It was fun learning about the organisms. Ben #36
Aquatic Invertebrates
The other day we went to the SITW pond. Initially, we gathered some supplies. A bin, an “isolating tray”, a pond net, a small organism net and a turkey baster. We then walked about a half mile to the pond. When we got to the pond we were given our supplies and we were given a partner. We then collected pond water in the bins and used the net to scoop up organisms. I expected to be able to catch quite a few things as they would be in the mud because of winter. We did catch quite a few organisms and brought them back to the bin of water and put them into the water from the net. We used the turkey baster to suck them up and put them into the “isolating tray”.
We saw some pretty cool things like Dragon Fly Nymphs. What’s so cool about them is that they will burrow down and gather muck on their body and they look exactly like the environment around them. They camouflage themselves so well that predators won’t even spot them.
Then we were able to study what we caught. I think pond life is very interesting because it is like a whole other world.
max #18
Alex j 39#
Today I went to the pond with my partner to catch aquatic invertebrates. We caught 3 riffle beetles its weird how they move so fast with so skinny legs, we also caught 5 dragon fly nymphs and much more. It’s weird how dragon fly nymphs wiggle their abdomen to swim. Sometimes you can see their gills. There are two different kinds of dragon fly nymphs. One is like a spider, it’s brown and it digs dirt on top of itself. The other one dose the same thing but it’s just black and does not look like a spider. Just caching invertebrates is the best thing at School in the Woods!
I remember my first few visits to the pond. I was amazed about how many life forms there were. There were dragonfly nymphs, back-swimmers, mayfly nymphs and many, many more organisms. Isn't the pond fun?
I miss School in the Woods. During the recent snowstorm my SITW hat came in handy. I do hope all of you new naturalists are having fun. (Who wouldn't have fun at SITW!!!!)I'm sorry I haven't had time to blog. I have kept checking the Astronomy Picture of the Day. There have been some stellar sightings recently. Of course, they are all interesting.
Elise #27 from the Golden Eagle Class
P.S. Golden eagles rule!!!!!
Its almost the one year anniversary of Grandma Tree's snap!! I remember when she stood tall.
#27 Golden Eagle class
P.S. Golden eagles rule!!
My Blog
When we went to the pond, we caught invertebrates.
This is how we caught the invertebrates; out teacher gave us nets that can get stuff under water. Then, when we caught the invertebrates, we put them in a tub that had clean water. We then got a tiny net and put them in this thing that you put water in, then, put it in the freezer and it turned into ice but we were not going to freeze them but we put water in them and so we can see one at a time.
This is what we do with them.
We have a sheet and there is a checklist where we check off which invertebrates we had caught. We drew a picture of one of the invertebrates we caught and wrote a paragraph of the invertebrates.
This is what I learned about invertebrates.
I learned about one of the invertebrates. One of the invertebrates that I learned about can squirt water. This invertebrates looks like it is cruising around. The next invertebrates I learned about was the water scorpion, it moves its legs so it looks like it is swimming as a human does. The snails are slowest swimmers.
#30
Taylor 38
At the pond I caught some interesting invertebrates. I caught lots of back swimmers. They were fast and they hid in the mud. I wonder what their front looks like. I also caught about three snails, and I donated one to the aquarium my favorite thing I caught was a dragonfly nymph. It looks a little scary and a little bit like a scorpion. I had a fun and really messy time at the pond.
mya 44#
Before we went looking for aquatic organisms we learned 7.0 is mediam pH. Now ready max and I swoosh our net though the remains of cattails hoping to find some organisms. Pouring out our things in our net into a bucket of pond water I let it sit because it was still blurey. Now clear I notice some may fly nymphs moving their gills in and out , three dragonfly nymphs flying by in the bucket ,damselfly nymphs wiggling their tails back and fourth, and snails slugging by. At the end of the day I was glad to have learned all that knowledge
This week we went to the SITW pond.
Dylan was my partner. My favorite thing we caught was a back swimmer. It had a white belly and big long legs. It swam kind of funny because it stuck it's giant legs out and pushed them up and down. Dylan and I loved it.
The pond is so fun!
by Chace Fine 33
Post a Comment